• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ph33r

Help my mesh has fallen!

This topic is 4726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Tiny_4anim.x - Skinned, 4 animation file. Current animation: Run As you can see my mesh starts out lying on the ground, the mesh is huge so my ground is fairly small and it looks like she is hovering but I can guarentee that she is lying down on the zx plane. This is a skinned animated mesh. It is the tiny_4anim.x file that contains 4 animation. I'm pretty sure she is modelled correctly standing up and not lying down because I've looked through the sample app and it doesn't look like she is rotated into any position before she is drawn. They simply set the camera position. So she must be moddeled standing up. Though, the sample app uses LH coordinate system where I use a RH coordinate system but I don't think that matters. Anyone have any clue what could be causing her to start laying down?

Advertisement
There are several versions of Tiny. Are you using (and is she from) the newest SDK release?

The old Tiny was laying in such a way in my engine as well. I believe it was a bug in the old MS exporter code.

Yah I've got the latest release June 2005, so I don't think it can be that. Even if it was, it renders properly in the sample code.

Do you think it has anything to do with that I'm using a RHS for rendering?

Actually, I have the exact same problem, and all other meshes definately work fine. Clearly if one were to switch the Y and Z ordinates of each vertex it would work properly. One *could* do this at load time but it's such an ugly hack:

void LoadMesh(...)
{
LoadMeshFromXFile(...);
if(filename == "tiny_4anim.x")
{
float t = points[n].y;
points[n].y = points[n].z
points[n].z = t;
}
}

That's actually almost daily wtf worthy. So if anyone finds anything on this, I, too, am interested.

I can vouch for that tiny file to be bad. I was testing with it about a week ago before I got some real test models.. and I was working on Quaternion rotation and was wondering why it wasn't rotating properly.

That model is HUGE and is also on a different axis.

Sorry, I figured they would have fixed that by now. I'm not sure why she has her z and y mixed up like 3D Studio, but she's the only model I've had problems with.

Yah she is rediculously huge, her kneecap can fill like twenty tiger.x meshes! My friends and I found it pretty funny at first but the novelty wears off pretty fast.

The samples and mesh viewer must be using the mesh or root transforms to put her in the correct axes. I would give you one of my characters, but I no longer store the animations in the same file as the mesh. That, and my models have custom bone names.

If you look at her body transform in the x-file, it's pretty clear that z and y are reversed:

Frame body {
FrameTransformMatrix {
1.278853,0.000000,-0.000000,0.000000, // ( +x = +x )
0.000000,0.000000,1.123165,0.000000, // ( +y = +z )
0.000000,-1.470235,0.000000,0.000000, // ( +z = -y )
0.135977,2.027985,133.967667,1.000000;;
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!