Well... I got my intro working...

Started by
5 comments, last by Rob Loach 18 years, 10 months ago
I've been working on my intro and it's almost where I want it. Now I just gotta make the game. This is my second attempt at 3D (I made a crappy thing for the first 4E1), but I think I'm getting the hang of things. Seems rather similiar to OpenGL when I tried it. I used many DirectX tutorials on the Web to start out, however, I'm using Visual Basic and I have to say that much of the help is quite outdated. Any good resources out there (besides the DirectX sdk and GameDev) to help me along with texturing, blending, etc. with Visual Basic .Net 2003 and DirectX? Anyone know? Anyone at all? Whisper in my ear, I won't tell anyone. :) Oh and thank Jeremy for the excellent tutorial on 3d modeling with Blender. Look ma, I'm still learning....
Advertisement
I did a lot of work with DirectX8.1 and VB6, but the problem with using VB.NET is that they eliminated visibility of non-member library functions, which pretty much encompasses all of your more important (D3DX8) functionality.

I'd suggest looking into MDX (Managed DirectX) if there is such a thing for VB, or downgrading to VB6. Should you choose the latter, GDNET still has the articles I learned off of.

Good luck!
Also, anyone here a good singer. I tried singing over some free midi files... but arrghh.. no talent agent needed.
Quote:Original post by Mushu
I did a lot of work with DirectX8.1 and VB6, but the problem with using VB.NET is that they eliminated visibility of non-member library functions, which pretty much encompasses all of your more important (D3DX8) functionality.

I'd suggest looking into MDX (Managed DirectX) if there is such a thing for VB, or downgrading to VB6. Should you choose the latter, GDNET still has the articles I learned off of.

Good luck!

Thanks Mushu, this might be an excuse for me to learn C#. I've pretty much exhausted my search on VB stuff and I have lots of info, just seems outdated. Plus, my intro still has some disposing bugs which causes it to exit with errors (i'm tired of pressing control-alt-delete then alt-e several times hehe).
Quote:Original post by NickGeorgia
Any good resources out there (besides the DirectX sdk and GameDev) to help me along with texturing, blending, etc. with Visual Basic .Net 2003 and DirectX? Anyone know?

These tutorials use DirectX 7/8/9 and probably with an older IDE (VB6 presumably).
But they are really good. They (the DirectX7 ones) were my first introduction to DirectX like five or six years ago. So they might be a bit outdated here and there, but still very educational in my opinion.

Direct link to the graphics part.
Thanks WanMaster. They look really good.
Don't use Visual Basic, whatever you do. It'll ruin your life. I'd suggest going with C#. It's just as easy as VB and has the power and speed of C++. There's also a lot of documentation avaible on Managed DirectX using C#.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement