Misconceptions of Game Programming

Started by
78 comments, last by newbie999999999 18 years, 9 months ago
I was hoping to get some input on the common misconceptions that are associated with game programming. My initial thought on one misconception is that many people including myself came thinking that there was nothing to learn but what you wanted to make a game about. I found out quickly that I needed to learn a language and even then there were API's that I needed to try and grasp a hold of as well as a few other things.
Kenjutsu maybe a lost art, but tell me I'm stupid for wanting to take a knife toa gunfight after watching this http://www.comegetyousome.com/misc/videos/bulletvskatana.wmv
Advertisement
1) Games aren't real programs - courtesy of my dad

2) Games are a joke to program - courtesy of a smart, but ignorant programmer who I have had to suffer through many classes in college with.

3) Game programming isn't a real job - my dad again

4) Aren't all games pretty much the same nowadays - my dad again

5) There's no money in games - my dad again
Quote:Original post by njpaul
2) Games are a joke to program - courtesy of a smart, but ignorant programmer who I have had to suffer through many classes in college with.

Hahaha I've heard other people say that people have said that to them, but I've never been fortunate enough to have had the comedy experience of someone saying it to me.

One day maybe... :(
It's not hard to program a agame at all, you just place objects around in a program. -Courtesy of some guy in the help wanted forums not to long ago.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
- Game programming is no real programming since you don´t solve a problem with the resulting program - often heard that at my university from those students that don´t have fun in their lives ;)
Quote:Original post by up in flames
My initial thought on one misconception is that many people including myself came thinking that there was nothing to learn but what you wanted to make a game about. I found out quickly that I needed to learn a language and even then there were API's that I needed to try and grasp a hold of as well as a few other things.

That wasn't a major misconception - after all you could always have become a designer. The idea that you need to program everything yourself and that drag-and-drop systems like Flash are 'cheating', however, is one.

If there's a tool or technology you can use to reduce the work that needs to be done, you might as well use it...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by up in flames
My initial thought on one misconception is that many people including myself came thinking that there was nothing to learn but what you wanted to make a game about. I found out quickly that I needed to learn a language and even then there were API's that I needed to try and grasp a hold of as well as a few other things.

That wasn't a major misconception - after all you could always have become a designer. The idea that you need to program everything yourself and that drag-and-drop systems like Flash are 'cheating', however, is one.

If there's a tool or technology you can use to reduce the work that needs to be done, you might as well use it...

I've always thought drag and drop systems like Flash were cheating [wink]. The problem with RAD tools like these is that they usually come at a significant cost. I've never used it myself, but I know "GameMaker"-esque programs can't match any hand coded games.

If you just want to hack together a simple game though, I guess "drag and drop" might be okay.
- some people think they can get into the games industry with a cs degree and nothing else.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
- some people think they can get into the games industry with a cs degree and nothing else.

Maybe its different in the UK, but if im not mistaken, your bs in cs (or better) is your biggest ally in landing yourself a game programming job (there may very well be other factors (namely experience) but you NEED that cs degree)

ive been wrong before, but thats my impression
cheers
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid

I got hired doing game related work out of college with my CS degree and worked on several casual games but it wasn't until I took some game development classes that I really broke into the games industry. I'm still not working on any A+ games though...

People who reek of such ignorance always wash out. I've seen it happen a number of times. It's funny how those guys who always told me in college how easy everything was and how smart they were are now [literally] the chumps testing my code. No disrespect to QA folks intended.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement