• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dko

A strange little question

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew of where someone could get something that would hold a book up and open? I have a couple programing books and trying to use them while im trying to learn from them has been a hastle. I have to put them under my arms when I type so I can keep the page and see it clearly. But this kills my ability to type. >.<

Advertisement
Have you tried propping it up between your monitor and keyboard if they are in close proximity of each other? What kind of setup are you at? For small books I put it between my monitor and keyboard and for the larger ones I had it under my forearms. If you're typing correctly, you should have no problem doing so.

I think this belongs in the lounge. However...

I don't know of much, usually I just put the book off to one side with it's pages spread flat open (programming books that I use are usually quite heavy, so their pages hold themselves open. I suppose you could just put something else (like another book) on top of the pages to hold them open and read that while you type. This usually works best for me, but it might not work for you, since you asked for something to hold it _up_.

My advice would be to use the above technique, and then just type without looking at your hands. Might take a bit of practice, though. I've had enough practice typing that by now I know exactly where all the keys are, and I can type without looking at my hands or making many typos. If you can do that, my technique will do fine for you.

Ive tried your solutions beffore but the one tends to cover up my screen. And with my desk setup the way it is right now the key board wouldn't be very stable as it would be close to the edge. I do type with it currently under my forearms but it for some reason can get a bit uncomfortable and hinder my acttual typing.

Thanks a bunch everyone. Ill keep it in my favs untill I get a little monney so I can purchase it. ^^ and ill try some of the temp solutions untill then.

Did a quick google search on "book stand" and came up with the following. Not terribly expensive but I'm sure you could do better. I've seen some metal ones at various places, that should be cheaper.

One

Two

A whole list of them: The "Bookhug" might be alright at $14USD for one and $16USD for two.
Three

Was hoping to find something free, easy to make yourself but I didn't see anything at a quick glance. Hope this all helps you.

*DISCLAIMER*
I am in no way affiliated with these companies nor do I own any of the products.

Cookbookholders... that's what to look for...

These things keep the pizza and soda from your pages...

Cheers

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!