• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] GET /favicon.ico

This topic is 4721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am hosting at site here about a new technological approach and I discovered smb. who is constantly requesting "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" (my server =Apache 1.3 answers "404-Not found" every time). I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me what's with this request? [Edited by - vallentin on June 18, 2005 1:07:28 PM]

Advertisement
favicon.ico is the icon that is used in the address bar/bookmarks list for a website. For gamedev this is how they get the gamedev logo into those places. If it does not exist the browser will supply a generic icon in it's place.

It's probably some version of Mozilla Firefox, which seems very keen on requesting favicon.ico, even if it doesn't find it the first time.

It seems to continue to request it, almost every page, if it doesn't exist.

One option to prevent it is to create a favicon.ico file for your site. Another, is to use a link element to indicate where the icon is (if it's somewhere else). I'm not sure whether you can explicitly tell it that there isn't one.

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!