Rocky Horror Picture Show

Started by
8 comments, last by Gocontact 23 years, 4 months ago
I have been looking trough my logs, and I believe either Star Wars or Rocky Horror Picture Show was the first game based on a film. Am I wrong? Ben
Advertisement
There was a Rocky Horror Picture Show game?!

Seeing men in women''s underwear is bad enough on TV. I don''t need the crap as a game too.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I was back in -84-85, tough.

Rocky Horror Picture Show was relased for Commodore 128, but the machine was not released before 1985, I could be wrong.
And Star Wars must been relased in 1984, but it does not make sense. Because the game was one of the first true 3D- action games. ( Still remember the smell from that machine, -burning plastic! I got sick if I tried to play it.) Superseded by ''Nightdriver'' ( Not true 3d) and ''Battlezone'' 1980 (first true 3d), by the way, they used the term scientific perspective, used by the first correctly perpective painters in 15th century.

Any ideas
First game based on a movie. Tough, especially since there were so many Star Wars games. So, to throw a few more candidates in to the fray, how about the Tron games?

Also, I''m not entirely sure the Superman game was based more on the movie or the comic. I''ll throw some copyright dates once I look through my Atari 2600 game manuals.
quote:
Also, I''m not entirely sure the Superman game was based more on the movie or the comic. I''ll throw some copyright dates once I look through my Atari 2600 game manuals.

God help me. That would be very much appriciated.

Could it also be true that Mortal Kombat was the first game turned into a film(1997)?

And Wing Commander 2, -first film/game(1993)? Budget of 4mill.$ split equal on game development and shooting. God beware us of that thing[/i}. But good try anyway.

Cheers
Ben
Well, I'm back from perusing the manuals.

Superman was copyrighted by Atari in 1979 (program contents) and by DC Comics (on the manual) in 1980. A quick [and easy] search at the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) told me that the [first live-action] movie was made in 1978. Plenty of time for the game to be based on the movie, but...

The cover of the Superman game is hand-drawn artwork, and no copyright for the movie studio is given either. On top of that, the plot has nothing to do with the events in the movie. In my opinion, this one is out of the running.

As for games that definately are based on movies, both Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T. are copyrighted 1982 to their respective owners. I also found Krull, but the copyright is 1983.

This may not have helped much, but I did find one thing interesting. Any search in the IMDb gives movies AND videogames that meet the criteria. I think this is the best bet for research and I'll certainly be using it.

Movies based on Video Games:
Super Mario Bros. [1993]
Mortal Kombat [1995]
Mortal Kombat : Annihilation [1997]
Wing Commander [1999]

Edited by - SonicSilcion on November 26, 2000 5:00:30 PM
Thanx SonicSilcion

I forgot of course about our fatty little creators from Miyamoto.

You helped me very much. Give it back to some time. Over a dried(stock)-fish in Lofoten Northern Norway, with midnight sun and beer...

Ben
I believe Mortal Kombat (the movie) came out in 1995. Mortal Kombat Annihilation probably came out in 1997. I think the Street Fighter movie was released before either of those though.

BTW: for all you Mortal Kombat fans (if there still are any after MK Mythologies) I believe that Robin Shou''s (Liu Kang''s) contract was for three movies. I really know too much about this stuff.
Add to the Movies from games:

Double Dragon (1993)
Other games based on movies:

• Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (NES)
  • G.I. Joe (NES)(well, kinda)
  • Wayne's World (NES)(game based on a movie based on an SNL sketch- egad!)
  • 102 Dalmations (PSX/DC)
  • 3 Ninjas Kick Back (!?!) (Sega CD- lol)
  • Hook (Sega CD & SNES)
  • A Bug's Life (GBC & PSX)
  • Antz (PSX & GBC)
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula (Genesis)
  • Casper (SNES)
  • Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (SNES- not a movie, but I had to mention it )
  • Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest (SNES- they did it again )
  • Dennis the Menace (SNES)
  • Home Alone 1 & 2 (SNES & GB)
  • Home Improvement (actually a sitcom. thats when you know your GameDev career's hit rock bottom! )
  • Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (SNES)
  • Robocop v. The Terminator (SNES- classic Platform Shooter, BTW)
  • Socks The Cat Rocks the Hill (SNES- yes, that Socks!!)
  • StarGate (SNES)
  • Super Back to the Future 2 (SNES)
  • Terminator (Sega CD)
  • The Blues Brothers (SNES)
  • The PageMaster (SNES)
  • Toy Story (GBC)

Rrrrgh, there's more, but I'm in class, so I've got to leave it there. Know what I did? Went to gamerland.com and searched for platform scrollers. Heh. Well at least they're consistent in their exploitation.

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

Edited by - Anonymous Poster. on November 27, 2000 1:21:13 PM
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement