Water Simulation

Started by
10 comments, last by MikeWulf 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi has anyone ever done water similation using natural water motions?
Advertisement
As far as i know water waves or the surface waves in any liquid media breaks down to rather difficult DE's.

But then I can't say for sure. I haven't gotten to that area in physics yet.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
I have come accross nice equations for wter that i think i will use ofr my game, but i will need to make it fit with performance. They has to be a way to do detail without using all CPU speed and graphics memory.
Well, if you haven't tried implementing them in your game yet, start by doing that. Don't worry about CPU and memory until you have. You should always make something work before you make it fast and efficient. Never optimize prematurely.
I tried to make a water simulation a few minutes ago for console. I had the water kinda 'bouncing' around but didn't make anything that made the water lose the velocity or influence or what ever you would call its power. I think it was about 40 lines of code. Since I don't know how things really work I don't know if that was small enough for an actual program though. I gave up when I found out you can't declare a global with a variable value :(.
Thanks for the info [smile]. The water similation works like jigsaw piecase it all mimicks natural water motions. So you can get natural waves, water movement, interaction and everything else needed that real life water uses. Water seems to be the most hardest part of physics to build, if you want to mimick real life water and get precise motions. The physics i saw was used in the ants film water. They seem hard but so is everything these days so soon i will get learning water mechanics.
Sounds interesting. Make sure to let us know when you come up with some results. [smile]
I think you are all thinking it is really difficult. I had a nice looking rising and falling going for my second attempt that would be fine for a video game.
Mike is this is 3d? the motions of water seem to addapt very sophisticated physics incorporating lots of physical calculations to just move one particle. This is why i thought it is hard i havn't tried yet but will tell ya how i get along [wink].
Sorry about that top post was mine. Site messed up or somereason.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement