GUI library

Started by
8 comments, last by Andrew Russell 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi! I'm looking for a platform-independent (at least win & mac) C++ GUI library. What i'd like to have is a nice OO API and no need to worry about GUI element layout issues on different OSes. Also, preferably, the library should use the native GUI.And of course it would be nice to have tools available to layout dialogs. So far i've only looked into wxWindows. Any other suggestions?
Advertisement
Crazy Eddie's GUI System

Not sure how cross platform it is (if at all); I've never used it.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.
Qt by Trolltech seems to meet all of those requirements. It's OO, written in C++, runs on Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD and Windows and has a decent UI designer. If I recall correctly, Adobe have started using it in some of their smaller projects. The one problem is that it's covered by the GNU GPL, so if you want to make your program closed source, you have to fork out for a commercial license. If you want to share your code or if source theft isn't really an issue, then it should be fine.
Quote:Original post by Motz
Qt by Trolltech seems to meet all of those requirements. It's OO, written in C++, runs on Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD and Windows and has a decent UI designer. If I recall correctly, Adobe have started using it in some of their smaller projects. The one problem is that it's covered by the GNU GPL, so if you want to make your program closed source, you have to fork out for a commercial license. If you want to share your code or if source theft isn't really an issue, then it should be fine.

The commercial license isn't cheap either, something like $1000 per developer I think, but if you can live with your software being licensed under the GPL it's good.

Check this thread in the OpenGL forum for another one.

glGUI might be an option if you're using OpenGL (haven't used it or checked to see what license is.

I've been working on one myself using SDL, it's actually not all that hard to do.
I dont need a custom-rendered GUI library (like CrazyEddie which is very nice indeed :), but a platform abstraction of gui capabilities. are there viable freeware solutions to a $1000 qt license?
The only one I can think of is wxWidgets.

http://www.wxwidgets.com
daerid@gmail.com
I second wxWidgets.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
QT isn't always a native UI, either. Especially not on Win32.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
If you want a platform independent GUI then you'll need to give up a native look, wxwidgets are cool but don't always look identical to the platform. Same with Java swing or awt. QT is IMHO the worst for a platform look and feel.

we use wxwidgets on some small projects where we dont' need to imitate the native interface.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
I gotta say - out of everything, wxWidgets will probably give you the most platform-native look of any GUI system. It's also wonderful to program with. It's very full-featured.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement