• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Textures and Visible Repetition

This topic is 4720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a terrain engine which uses splatting based on an alpha map for each texture. It works quite well and look great up close. Problem is, no matter how big or seemingly even my textures are, I can always see the repeating pattern, especially in the distance. What kind of solutions do other terrain engines have for this problem? Thanks

Advertisement
If I understand you correctly, I recommend that you just use a series of textures (maybe three or four) for the same "type" of terrain, and select a random one for each "square." That way there won't be repetition.

For more randomness, you can also rotate the textures of 90, 180 and 270 degrees, to get a x4 boost.

But then you have the issue of textures needing to be tileable to themselves from different orientations, which can sometimes be difficult or odd-looking

Apply one or two levels of "detail" texturing with different scaling coefficients, and that will allevite it a little bit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!