• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Twixn

OpenGL Multiple Streams

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all Whats the proper use of Multiple streams and Vertex FVF Formats? Im currently porting my OpenGL app to Direct3D which accepts the Vertex Arrays separately, atm it takes the array and what type it is, creates a Vertex Buffer of the apporpriate size and type, fills it with the Vertex data, appends the FVF format to the global FVF format, and sets that Vertex Buffer in the next avaliable stream. And is then rendered using the global FVF format. Is this how to do it? is there anything im forgetting? -Twixn-

Advertisement
Seems fine to me.

For most applications i would assume it isn't necessary to set multiple vertex streams, i mean i certainly never have done.

Just stick to stream 0 and you are on the right track.

ace

How would i assign multiple vertex buffers to the same stream? is it possible? or assigning multiple Arrays to one Vertex Buffer?

-Twixn-

Well you could manually create a vertex buffer the same size as all of the arrays and copy them all. This would be assuming the FVF of all the vertex arrays are the same.

When this situation arose for me i found that writing a wrapper for the vertex buffer was handy.

Check my sig if ya like.

ace

Well, the FVF of the arrays are different...one would have the Vector, another would have tex coords etc etc...im porting the rendering code from OpenGL to Direct3D, so it only accepts each array separately, as i didnt use interleaved arrays.

Are the streams used together, or one after another?

-Twixn-

[Edited by - Twixn on June 18, 2005 9:56:24 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!