• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wazoo69

Anyone working with XGameStation?

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just curious.. It looks *incredibly* interesting but is there any kind of indie market...or any market period for this device?

Advertisement
I don't think it was ever meant as a platform to make commercial games. It's a learning tool more than anything else.

shmoove

Guest Anonymous Poster
MindWipe has one.

I don't think there is any market for games since it is meant to be a 'make it yourself' kind of platform and I'd bet that at $200 there are very very few of them out there since you could just get a real console and make games for it instead.

Yeah the deeper I've gone into the site, the more I've come to the same conclusion that it's designed more as a learning tool than an actual platform for pursuing commercial titles.

thanks everyone!

Well, I guess Andre's goal was to explain how a console is BUILT, not how to write console games, that's what makes it a unique product that is not in competition with say, a chipped XBOX...

One of my "ex-"lead programmer worked on the console and provided a few demos for it, and from what he told me, most hobbyists won't be able to do much stuff with the console as it was when he developped for it, he had a hard time making everything fit in memory for his tetris demo (he even had to remove a column to have everything fit if I recall correctly) and I think he had problems to get all the assets in memory for his pac man clone or something...

Anyway, hope this helps

The Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of memory and I hope that the XGameStation has a little more. Pacman should be possible (in fact there are games called Rem-Pac and Rem-Tetris on the site).

But this is part of the "fun" of this thing I think. You have to do some old-skool style programming from back when resources weren't so plentiful.

shmoove

Well, well, what do you know.... [grin]
So that would make Rem-Tetris the one with the missing line, right?

shmoove

Yep, if I recall correctly he had to remove either a row or a column to make everything fit in memory. I'm seeing him Thursday night, if y've got specific questions I could still ask him!

Cheers

Eric

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!