• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kulik

Capturing OpenAL output

This topic is 4776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I programmed a little OpenAL 3D sound test into my engine. Now I am able to capture movie sequences via glReadPixels(). Is there some simillar method in OpenAL to capture "what you hear"? I want to be able to encode it using ffmpeg.

Advertisement
You can use the capturing device in the new Open AL beta, but it records whatever your computer's set to record, so unless you have the option of capturing all of the sound output, you wont be able to capture it. You can always use SNDREC32 or something to test it instead of creating an Open AL app to test it.

well sndrec32 isn't on 64bit Gentoo Linux, is it ... :-D

I need something universal, I don't believe there isn't anything like alGetOutput() or something ...

Well the Open AL documentation's pretty easy to follow (it even puts the recording API at the top of the list of differences between 1.0 and 1.1), so it shouldn't take you too long to figure out how to capture sound for testing. In the worst case scenario, you could always come back here and ask a few more questions. If you find yourself having too many problems, I could always post my code (although it lacks comments in quite a few places).

I don't want to sound lame, but the documentation always was there: http://www.openal.org/documentation.html

It isn't there anymore, the whole site was rebuilt some time ago. I can't google the new documentation.

Somebody know where does it reside now?

I found something there http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=51 but this isn't enough ...

That Open AL page worked fine for me, but the documentation I used was in the 'Docs' folder within the Open AL SDK zip.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!