Isometric World Editor download - new version with more enhancements!

Started by
19 comments, last by the_moo 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey all! Its been a while since I last posted in this section so I thought I'd give you all something to discuss. I've just finished updating/adding more features to my Iso Map Editor and I invite all of you to check it out and comment on it. The new features include: - a minimap for overall map previews and "quick jumps" to make editing easier. - visual way of selecting individual tiles to add to maps. - built-in tutorials explaining almost everything that you can do with the editor. - bugs from older versions fixed and eliminated (as far as I can tell). I've only recently added these features in (i.e. within the last month) after taking a large break from working on this editor. If anyone is interested, please try it out, let me (and others [wink]) know what you think, and if you find any bugs please let me know so I can work them out. Here's the direct download: Download Isometric World Editor - Updated Version! [edit] I just realised many of you don't like downloading stuff without a screenshot so here ya go [smile] [/edit] [edit again] I've just posted (so down further) a piece of Isometric drawing code after programmer16's request. Feel free to have a look and comment and/or use it. It also includes a little about mouse detection on an isometric map. [/edit again] Hope you all enjoy it! [Edited by - the_moo on June 26, 2005 7:45:30 PM]
the_moo
Advertisement
There is a bug in the application.When I click the selector,many windows jump.
And if map size is set negative,the same thing happens.I don't know why?
hey zhujianyu,
thanks for trying it out first of all![smile]
also, thanks for pointing out those bugs, i've just fixed them and updated the download with the new files so now it shouldn't [wink] crash on either occasion.

anyone else have anything to say about it? i'm curious to know if others like the interface or if there's anything you all would like to be different/added in.

i've thought about adding a feature that allows custom file types to be produced, but that's one of the things i need to know from everyone - if no one would be interested as a result, i wouldnt bother.

anyway, thanks for your reply zhujianyu, i look forward to hearing from many others [smile]
the_moo
The tutorials were very handy since the editor had lots of features. I really like the interface (reminds a bit about StarEdit for StarCraft, which is always good :) Cool with a minimap and previews when loading tilesets and objects.

When I clicked File->New->OK->Yes, then Tiles, Load Tileset and loaded any of the default PNG-tilesets and pressed OK for 1 rows and 1 columns, showed the tileset and placed a tile, then clicked File->Close Map and No in the save changes message box then I got message boxes which said:

"Access violation at address 004C9684 in module "WORLDEDITOR.EXE". Read of address FFFFFFFF."

I'm running the program under Windows 98, has DirectX 9.0b installed and 512 MB of RAM. Is the application using something which might not exist in Windows 98?

\Jimmy H
hey, thanks for trying it out Jimmy H!
im glad you like the interface and the features that are in it.
that error you found would probably be the result of a gap in one of the tutorials. unfortunately i remember now that i forgot to add in information about one of the procedures that you must follow before loading any images into the editor - ill be updating it soon so that that doesnt happen anymore (hopefully!).

thanks again for trying it out! its great to hear some positive feedback!
the_moo
I loaded a tileset, added a few tiles, and then removed my tileset (so that I could readd it with correct values. I got about 200 error messages (and increasing) in less than a second or 2. It was about memory or something. Other than that, its a nice app and is there any way I could see your rendering and mouse detection code? Thanks!

Edit: Ok, I started a new map and accidentally chose to use the default values. So I clicked the new world button and again with the error messages (access violations.)

Edit again: Also, I can't quite get it to work right. I'm trying to use the fieldtiles2.png but the numbers that I enter all seem to be wrong. I set the map size to 10x10x1 and the tile sizes to:
tile x 48
tile y 37 ( I also tried 25 here and 37 below)
tile height 25

I then entered 4 columns and 2 rows. But the tiles aren't rendering correctly.
hey programmer16, thanks for trying it out!
unfortunately the first problem you described (with removing the tileset) i only discovered yesterday so i will work to fix that soon (not entirely sure what the problem is yet...)

the second problem i have yet to encounter, even when i try to find it. i have a feeling i know what the problem might be so ill look into it and maybe put up a way to prevent something like that from happening - if you need to make a new map, use "Close Map" from the "File" menu before "New" until i get that fixed.

the last problem theres a couple of things that can help:
1. take a look at the screenshot i posted [wink]
2. have a read over the "Map Terms" page under "Help", that should explain it a little better.
basically tile x is the width of the tile (you got that ok), tile y is the 'height' of the top of the tile (so just the flat surface, not including the the vertical faces) and tile height is the vertical height of the tile - there's a diagram on the "Map Terms" page that nicely shows what i mean [smile]

thanks again for trying it out, i hope these explanations help you to use the editor. also, did you check out the tutorials section under the help menu? they will help greatly if you find it, *ahem*, crashes or you cant get it working properly [wink]
as for the drawing code... well to be honest, its s***. ive made a much nicer (well i think its nicer) effort on my game engine that i can show you if you like, just let me know (mouse detection is part of the original jumbled mess so if you want to see the drawing code, it will be a part of it - the new code i mean).

thanks again,
the_moo
That would be awesome. I've tried several methods and they always seem to not work for me. I had one working, but the map system didn't look right to me (and if I changed it, I could get the mouse detection to work.)

I'm checking the tutorials out now, to see if I can get it to work. I got it working. Very nice :D
Hi nice editor but there is some problems. When i load the tilset images that come with the application and then click on one of the blue tils on the level it won't show the image. I also got an error access violation that caused hundreds of errors to apear lol and music is not loading i loaded a .mp3 file and then selected it pressed play and i got an error saying can not determin device type from the given file name. I am using windows xp service pack 1 and 256 mb ram, gforce mx440(crap graphics i know, intel pentium 4 processor. Nice program anyways [smile].
ok, hey again!
ive just finished correcting those errors that youve all listed and am happy to say its not crashing anymore (for me anyway [wink])!
i fixed these things:
- removing tileset error
- music loading/closing error
- new map error (now you dont have to close the map first, just click new and itll take care of the rest)

ive updated the download so if youd like to try it again and see if the problems are fixed thatd be great!

programmer16>> its getting a bit late here now and im gonna stop working on this stuff so ill post the code tomorrow for ya.

until then, enjoy!
the_moo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement