getting started with 3d

Started by
9 comments, last by MikeWulf 18 years, 10 months ago
i want to try making 3d games... whats the best way to start?
Advertisement
Take a look at an existing 3D engine, such as Ogre3D or Irrlicht and start working with that API to make your 3D game. Alternatively, you can start learning OpenGL or Direct3D and make everything from scratch. Good luck!
I would say that the first thing is to learn the basics of 3d theory (vectors, transformations, camera, matrices and so on). If you don't know at least what things are and what they do, how can you understand what you are doing?
This is all assuming you know how to code at all. Give a little background so you can get a little more meaningfull help.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
Because more important than learning, to a beginner, is results.
well,
i'm learning c++ at the moment so it should maybe nice if i could use 3d in c++
but i'm a beginner so i dont know this the way to go... i've tried to install some engines but they wont work (i use dev c++).
but i can use another language if necressary...
i think i also know the basics of 3d
I'd suggest starting with some simple 2D games, then later moving on to 3D. Much of what you'll learn in the process of making a 2D game will be also be applicable to 3D.
Well, there are plenty of beginners books on 3d, but if you are just looking to get your feet wet, I would suggest NeHe tutorials.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
3D is not the place to start for a beginner. Go the Console->2D->3D route. You'll get something on the screen faster, which will bolster your confidence, and help you prepare yourself along the way.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
ok, what is the best place to start? how do i begin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement