• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

GUI Question

This topic is 4720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you guys do your GUI? I'm working on a side scroller, and I'm wondering what is the best way to do like an inventory window? The user hits 'I' and the window pops up with the inventory? Also, how do you guys get character input from the user? Such as on the title screen, the user can select his profile that he created, or create a new one. How do you get user's string that he inputs?

Advertisement
Ok, thats a lot of questions right there:

Quote:
How do you guys do your GUI?

I like to do mine with cheese. Graphical User Goodness Cheese.

Apart from that i use a tree structure, where your root window (often the whole screen) has children (windows) and those windows have children (controls) and some of those controls have children (subcontrols).

An example would be a combo box. That will have 3 children. A Textbox, a push-button and a list.

This is mainly for a MS Windows type GUI which is fairly complex and probably more so than you need for your side scroller. For that, i'd texture up a few quads and display them in ortho mode on to your screen.

I'll try to answer the rest later.

For my current project I'm using Crazy Eddie's GUI which is a pretty full featured GUI for games/engines. It's a lot quicker and simpler than trying to code everything yourself and is fully cross-platform as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!