• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Animation blending: how to?

This topic is 4719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been writing my own animation blending routine that cleary doesn't work at all. I'm not sure whats wrong so I'll post my algorithm and my data structure Bone Hierarchy - Original Transform - Contains a weighted transform - Final Transform. Algorithm: 1) Reset bone hierarchy to their original transformation. 2) Clear the weigted transform to zero matrix. 3) For each active animation ---- Calculate the interpolated bone for the keyframe ---- weightedTransform += interpolatedTransform * blendScalar; 4) Loop through each animation and all its bones ---- FinalTransform += weightedTransform

Advertisement
To blend two animations together, am I right to say that the algorithm is

FinalTransform = BoneAnim1 * weight1 + BoneAnim2 * weight;

??

I'm not sure about this, but I think the formula is not correct. In the simplest case, you need to do a linear interpolation between two animation steps, this could be done with:

argument1 * fInterpolation + (1-argument2) * fInterpolation

fInterpolation is a value between 0..1, which is used to decide how much to blend.

Brisco

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!