Bump mampping

Started by
7 comments, last by Eelco 18 years, 10 months ago
I dont know if this technique is still used today, but I know that in citizen kabuto I saw a great bumpmapping with a lot of details. For instance kabuto's skin looked a bit rocky and the bump map effect was very impressive. Since this game I havnt seen bump map or a similar effect that suppose to give the same result with details as much as in citizen kabuto. I have seen doom3, and it didnt have bump maps with this sort of details. Does anyone know why there arnt any more bumpmaps like in ciztizen kabuto game?
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
Well, I helped Planet Moon put it in the game, so I can give you some pointers.

We just did Dot3, but I don't believe they blended it in the standard way.

I think the main thing they did was to meld it with the overbright, saturated color art style they already had. Most apps that use dot3 it seems do a very standard lighting model, which is why c.k. stood out so much.
Bump maps are awful! The reason why you haven't seen them is because everyone knows that surface solutions are the present and future!

(...I couldn't resist)
Quote:Original post by Cypher19
Bump maps are awful! The reason why you haven't seen them is because everyone knows that surface solutions are the present and future!

(...I couldn't resist)

What do you mean by surface solutions? Isnt that exactly the opposite from what you say about bump map? or did I get you wrong?
I think that the bumpmaps in citizen kabuto looked beautiful. They are also used in 3D art programs for ray traced grahics.
The only reason I know for not using bumpmaps is that in raytraced 3D art software, they are using a sort of hybration between bumpmaps and displacement maps. They use texture to diform the geometry of the model, but this diformation is not constricted to the division of the model to polygon, but rather can deform a single triangle for instance.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Quote:Original post by Cypher19

(...I couldn't resist)

Heh, if you're referring to this, the guy just reinvented normalmaps(which is what we mean nowadays when we say "bumpmapping") and gave them a new name.

Anyway, bumpmapping is used in Doom3,Far Cry and many other games. In Doom3 it's practically a part of the world and gives lot of detail(including specular bumpmapping), so I don't really understand your question. I've looked at screenshots from the game you mentioned and it's not that impressive. Certainly no way near Doom3. Maybe it stood out so much because it's used only in certain characters, whereas in Doom3 it's literally everywhere(just try to disable bumpmaps and look at the difference in characters' faces).
I think it was also because in kabuto you looked outside the character and you could rotate the character and see the lightings change on the bumpmap 360 degrees. So it was impressive.
As a side note: Citizen kabuto was a much more fun game then doom3, although doom3 had superior graphics.
I, uh, think Cypher19 was joking. ;)
Quote:Original post by Luke Philpot
I, uh, think Cypher19 was joking. ;)

Yeah, I know. My bad.

Quote:Original post by The C modest god
As a side note: Citizen kabuto was a much more fun game then doom3, although doom3 had superior graphics.

quoted for emphasis.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement