• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dx elliot

demo3 (screenshots and download)

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI I just finished programming my third demo. It's a major step-up when compared to my first demo and previous games. It took me a month and it turned out better than I thought it would. It was programmed with DirectX 9.0 Feb edition (included the dll this time) and uses FMOD (sound library) and a bit of the STL. And it was a lot of fun making it. Unfortunately, the system requirements are a bit high. You NEED vertex/pixel shading capabilities >= 2.0. I already removed a lot of the expensive effects, but it still runs quite sluggish, especially on high resolutions and fullscreen. 640x480 windowed mode is sufficient. click here here to download. There is more information in the readme.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Looks immense :D, fun to play aswell :o

Also that thing on your website following your learning curve more people should do that very informative.

What books/resources/way of thinking would you recommend to someone getting into DirectX/OpenGL from a C++ background

Cheers :D

I provided all credits in the readme as well as with an in-game message. From the readme:

Quote:

libraries:

Microsoft DirectX 9.0 - February 2005 Release
FMOD (sound and music)

with the following resources...

models:

each of the following models were downloaded from
http://www.polycount.com/

Lee David Ash
Double Barrel Shotgun
www.planetquake.com/violationE

James "HarlenquiN" Taylor
Ray Gun & Grenade Launcher models
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/

Edmund "Buster Charlie" Dupont
Machine Gun model
edmundd@riotsoftware.com

Darren Pattenden
Recruit model
daz@darren-pattenden.cix.co.uk

Spider Models
Maxx3D
spiders@eightleggedfreaks.com

textures and sound effects:

ATI
Remedy Entertainment
Strategy First
Xatrix Entertainment (now Gray Matter Studios)

several other files were downloaded off of freebie sites.

The original readmes are within each folder. The models were downloaded from Q3Radiant and converted it to my own format. The normal maps were generated using a free NVIDIA Photoshop plugin.

Quote:

What books/resources/way of thinking would you recommend to someone getting into DirectX/OpenGL from a C++ background

random sites pulled up from google are good... but nothing can compare to doing things the long and hard way (limiting the amount of third party code). It gets more beneficial and easier as time goes on, although I'm sure it's more difficult to begin with, than say, using someone else's engine that can do everything you could ever imagine. I found that learning a few techniques and then making a minigame out of it is nice. Make a Pong, be proud. Pong still rocks. The book link on my site for DirectX9 is OK, although some sections are a bit obsolete.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!