• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sipickles

Ugly joins using meshes for terrain sections

This topic is 4805 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been building my landscapes using 3dsmax. I am carving up the world into sections, each being exported as a mesh. I didn't want to use heightmapped VB's coz my landscape is impossible to make with that method! I am using geomipmapping to control LOD as well, with each area having several resolution meshes (seemed to have less popping than progressive meshes, since I can control the areas of downsampling). They look fabulous in the dx9 app...... apart from the joins. I first used a plane as the base object, but the edges we're very visible. small inaccuracies meant that gaps sometimes appeared...as expected. So then I used boxes (too many vertices on backface tho!) and planes with a verticle skirt to hide the gaps between meshes. This looked bad too. I am lighting the landscape and the verticle edges of the mesh catch the light and look even more obvious than gaps! Ok, so I went back to planes, and made the sectors share a portion of terrain with the neighbouring sector. I then drew them so they overlap slightly, and this is pretty convincing, except for small areas of z-fighting, which could be solvable. Has anyone got any thoughts on this one? Jollyjeffers??? you know you want to! Thanks Simon

Advertisement
yikes! ;)

Thanks coder, that link reinforces the point that to use skirts, they need to share the normals of the edge terrain.

I also think that perhaps i am using chunked LOD not geomipmapping!

My next idea is to use 'flaps'!

my flaps are gonna be thin strips of mesh which are rendered just below the join between two sectors. They will be generated from the same data that produced the sectors, so wil lshare the same normals etc. fractionally lowering these sections may eleminate zfighting

We'll see!

[Edited by - sipickles on June 20, 2005 7:06:29 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!