Pwned by Pietersen

Started by
24 comments, last by moagstar 18 years, 10 months ago
Great finish to the match. Didn't think England stood a chance when Solanki got dismissed.

Quote:Original post by superpig
A batsman stays in until he's made out - either bowled out (the ball hits the wicket he was defending) caught out or run out. He can't be made out by being tagged with the ball.

He can also be out LBW (leg before wicket). It can be quite complicated to judge, but is basically when the ball hits the batsman when it would otherwise be on its way to hit the wicket. So the batsman can't just stand infront of the wicket to protect it, he has to use his bat.

This site has some common cricket terminology that could be of use.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mazzachola
He can also be out LBW (leg before wicket). It can be quite complicated to judge, but is basically when the ball hits the batsman when it would otherwise be on its way to hit the wicket. So the batsman can't just stand infront of the wicket to protect it, he has to use his bat.
Yeah, my bad. I've always kinda considered that case to be a bit seperate anyway - it's more like being sent off for not playing fair than it is for being beaten by the others team.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Just curious: how long does the average cricket match take?
No doubt cricket is a sport fit for kings. And yet, I can't help shaking the feeling that some of the players were special-education students in a past life:

- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by WanMaster

Depends on the type of match. You can have Test matches, One-Day matches and also Twenty20 matches.

Test matches run over five days and two innings per team. Each day has three two-hour sessions with intervals for lunch and tea. Each day generally starts at about 11am and finishes at about 6pm.

One-Day matches last, well, a day. Each team has one inning which is limited to 50 overs (a set of 6 balls).

Twenty20 matches also last a day and are limited to one inning of 20 overs per team.
Quote:Original post by boolean
As for cricket in general being boring, I don't think it's a sport which you just sit and watch, unlike basketball and to some extent baseball (although I have trouble watching an entire game of that too). Cricket is the kind of game where it's an excuse to get out of the house, get plasterd with your mates while a cricket game happens in the background. Or if you are at home you keep an eye on it through the day as you get work done. It gives you something to do for the day, and that’s why I like it.

Yeah cricket is a great way to sit with mates and have a relaxing sunday afternoon with some beers (if you can get the weather for it :D )

Quote:Original post by WanMaster

That depends on the type of cricket match, test match cricket is played over 5 days, but you also get one day internationals and other forms, where you play a certain amount of overs, the length can really depend on how long it takes to get everyone out.

There are some explanations of the rules on this site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement