• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheWanderer

How many keys can I read?

This topic is 4721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've was playing around with DirectInput and became curious about how many keys I can detect as pressed during one game cycle. I wrote a small program which basically loops, each time updating the keyboard state. I then loop through the array of keys to see which one are pressed and print them out to a log file (I could have shown the graphically, but I'm feeling lazy). So far, I have only been able to detect 6 key presses no matter how many finger (or toes) I have on the keyboard. Is there an upper bound to how many keys can be detected at one time? Considering that the information is sent serially to the computer, I would not be surprised if there where.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by TheWanderer
I've was playing around with DirectInput and became curious about how many keys I can detect as pressed during one game cycle.

I wrote a small program which basically loops, each time updating the keyboard state. I then loop through the array of keys to see which one are pressed and print them out to a log file (I could have shown the graphically, but I'm feeling lazy). So far, I have only been able to detect 6 key presses no matter how many finger (or toes) I have on the keyboard.

Is there an upper bound to how many keys can be detected at one time? Considering that the information is sent serially to the computer, I would not be surprised if there where.

It's a hardware limitation - check Keyboards are evil. On a sidenote, using your toes on a keyboard's not recommended. The smell becomes quite noticable after a while [grin]

EVIL, EVIL!!!

It seems that we need a new architecture for keyboards (although this is likely to only affect gamers, so I don't see that happening any time soon :P) Thanks for the info, Coder :D.

(and in my defense, I take very good care of my feet. My wife house-broke me a long time ago :P)

Quote:
Original post by Coder
The smell becomes quite noticable after a while [grin]

Only if your name is Muhammad and only if you have a little problem with oral hygiene *cough* *cough* [wink]

Also, I've trained myself to become an exquisite foot typer. See: wwhyy hello tharr!! Man, those shift keys are tough [crying]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!