• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PulsarSL

C# worthwhile

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I want to learn some game programming and eventually make some cool games (2d & 3d). With all the talk about C(++) in programs, I've seen no mention of C#, which I'd like to learn... Is it harder using C# then C(++)? Is it too hard? Is it easier? Thanks PulsarSL

Advertisement
C# is about as hard as java. Seeing as its very simliar; C# in game development seems to be mostly for tool development and C++ still seems to be the standard how ever I see no reason not to learn both.

C++ is the most popular language for making games (at least commercial ones), but C# is perfectly usable for that purpose as well. C# is easier in a lot of ways--in particular it shields you from a lot of the really down-and-dirty coding that you often have to get into with C++ (memory allocation and so forth). C# also includes a very large number of useful classes that can speed up your development. I think it's probably a better place to start than C++ for a beginner, and it's similar enough to be a good stepping-stone to C++ as well.

The catch with C# is that (for the most part) it's only really available on Windows, while you can get C++ compilers for any system imaginable.

Quote:
Original post by lancekt
stuff before

The catch with C# is that (for the most part) it's only really available on Windows, while you can get C++ compilers for any system imaginable.

Ever hear of the Mono Project?

[EDIT:]
Quote:
Original post by PulsarSL
C#, which I'd like to learn

That right there is pretty much enough for you to decide whether to start with C++ or C#. You'll feel like you're force to learn C++ and in the end most likely get nowhere. On the other hand, with C#, you want to learn, and most likely will get somewhere.

OK, so before I actually learn C# fully (I know a bit now), will I be limited? I'm not concerned with platform-compatibility really as this game isn't going to be published or anything, just some fun for friends and learning.

C# is OK then?

edit - I thought the whole .NET idea was to maximize compatibility... I thought if a MAC had the .NET framework, it could run C#.NET apps...

edit edit - or did you mean development in windows only? that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

That right there is pretty much enough for you to decide whether to start with C++ or C#. You'll feel like you're force to learn C++ and in the end most likely get nowhere. On the other hand, with C#, you want to learn, and most likely will get somewhere.

Yea... you pretty much summed it up with the being forced part. I feel as if C# won't cut it for game programming just becase there doesn't seem to be enough support for C# over C++ for game programming...

But as long as C# would be good, I might as well learn that. I doubt C++ will be phased out ever considering the fanbase, but C# will get continued support and updates.

One last time: C# ok for 3d game development?

Quote:
Original post by PulsarSL
OK, so before I actually learn C# fully (I know a bit now), will I be limited? I'm not concerned with platform-compatibility really as this game isn't going to be published or anything, just some fun for friends and learning.

C# is OK then?

edit - I thought the whole .NET idea was to maximize compatibility... I thought if a MAC had the .NET framework, it could run C#.NET apps...

edit edit - or did you mean development in windows only? that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Of course C# is ok, you're only limited by you're skill.

About the compatibility, I'm not sure about the Microsoft.NET framework with Macs but I know Mono can do that, provided the Mac user has the Mono.NET framework installed.

The Mono Project

I've done only a little bit of research on C# so some things are probably wrong, feel free to correct me.

I'm not sure... C# just feels... "wrong"...

Probably because everyone uses it [edit - it being C++]. Which makes me rethink whether or not I should use C++ also, considering the amount of resources and source available.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!