C# worthwhile

Started by
38 comments, last by Amnesty 18 years, 10 months ago
There is no reason not to use Managed DirectX when using C# unless you want to run the application on a non-Windows platform which he already stated he doesn't.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bulma
DirectX, of course...

Why should he choose DirectX over OpenGL?

Im sorry, but Im a newbie :)
Quote:Original post by BinaryHead
DirectX, of course...

Managed DirectX has much more documentation, code samples, and fits with the C# programming style much more than using OpenGL (more C-style) with a third party managed wrapper.
C# is simply amazing. You can accomplish what you can in C++, with much less issues of design. The file systems are very easy to figure out and Visual Studio just makes it that much easier. I think the biggest enhancement in C# to all other languages are the implementation of delegates and the great event handling system they provide. Arena Wars was apparently the first commercial game done using C#.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Yeah, Arena Wars is nice. But what about the performance? I heard C# has a slight or major performance issue...
Im tired of the Rating System (As alot of you are), please rate me down.
Quote:Original post by XVampireX
Yeah, Arena Wars is nice. But what about the performance? I heard C# has a slight or major performance issue...

Quote:Original post by Saruman
Developing in C# you should be able to attain about 97-98% of the performance that you would in the same application in C++.. so I wouldn't base anything on language at all. Along with the fact that as a beginner you won't miss the 2-3% anyways because quite honestly most developers wouldn't be able to tune that C++ application to run at the maximum possible speed.

Anyway a beginner shouldn't really be worrying about performance issues like this, what they should be worry about is learning to program.

Than you obviously hear things from bad sources :) If a C# application does not achieve 97-98% of the performance of the equivelant C++ program than there was an error in development.. as it has nothing to do with the language/runtime at all. Not to mention if the developer can't attain this performance while using C#, the equivelant application built in C++ by said developer would perform even worse.

Not to mention that those numbers are meaning the equivelant C++ program is written as well as the C# program.. which 9 times out of 10 it isn't. This is why many times we see C# applications that are outperforming equivelant C++ applications. Go check out how the Axiom engine (C# port of the Ogre (C++) engine) can outperform his C++ big brother in many cases.

Since it's still pretty new language for game programmers they are still trying to figure out the best way to do things for games. Take for example the main game loop for managed c# in the latest directx sdk.
managed dx loop
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by BinaryHead
DirectX, of course...

Here's a entry at wikipedia about Direct3D vs. OpenGL. It should give you a better understanding about the two.
If you want to learn more about C#, the wikipedia entry is a good place to start, decent overview, and plenty of links to places you can learn more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement