• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PulsarSL

C# worthwhile

This topic is 4990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by PulsarSL
I'm not sure... C# just feels... "wrong"...

Probably because everyone uses it [edit - it being C++]. Which makes me rethink whether or not I should use C++ also, considering the amount of resources and source available.

Most of the stuff, but not all, you learn in C# can be transferred over to other languages. That is more important than which language you learn since that is common to pretty much all languages.

Of course if you have questions, GameDev does have a forum for the .NET framework.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by cutthepeace
Quote:
Original post by lancekt
stuff before

The catch with C# is that (for the most part) it's only really available on Windows, while you can get C++ compilers for any system imaginable.

Ever hear of the Mono Project?

Mono is very cool, but the compatibility with C#/.NET on Windows leaves a little to be desired (imho). Hence "for the most part."

Quote:
Original post by lancekt
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by lancekt
stuff before

The catch with C# is that (for the most part) it's only really available on Windows, while you can get C++ compilers for any system imaginable.

Mono is very cool, but the compatibility with C#/.NET on Windows leaves a little to be desired (imho). Hence "for the most part."

My bad, didn't see the "for the most part."

Quote:
Original post by lancekt
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by lancekt
stuff before

Yeah I've been using latest version of mono on my mac to learn c# and as far as you don't try to do any graphics or forms stuff it works the same as windows as far as I can tell.
You'll have no problem making 2d or even 3d games since there are actually some books out now that show you how to use c# with managed directx to make simple 3d games and of course 2d games.
The performance compared to equivalent c++/c games is terrible but then again these games are not optimized meaning they are written to be easy to read and learn to make games in the first place.
As far as difficulty learning it with the main purpose of making games I'd rate it somewhere between c++ and plain old c.
I mean c is probably the fastest/easiest to learn for games since it's a small/straight forward language. Plus there are tons of books/tutorials with games that you can learn from.
c++ is the hardest of course since the language is so large like c# and there are so many exceptions to remeber when using it so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
The reason I feel c# isn't as simple as they make it out to be is that like java everything is an object and so you programs are alot larger and complex than they need to be even for the simplest games.
There's too much casting needed for my taste and boxing and unboxing to worry about!
Oh and finally it's a big pain to redistribute your game to your friends when you are all done!
p.s. I started learning c# because I thought it would cut down the time it took me to make games but in practice I'm finding that it takes just about as long as using c/c++ since I'm constantly referring to all my c/c++ game programming books anyways for info on how to finish my games! maybe after I get the language down pat or after programming in it for a while(i just started) it'll be faster in the long run I hope so anyways...

Developing in C# you should be able to attain about 97-98% of the performance that you would in the same application in C++.. so I wouldn't base anything on language at all. Along with the fact that as a beginner you won't miss the 2-3% anyways because quite honestly most developers wouldn't be able to tune that C++ application to run at the maximum possible speed.

I just finished writing the majority of a C# game engine at work as the full game is being developed using the .NET framework. It took a fraction of the time and actually runs faster than the older C++ engine due to being able to build it better in a short amount of time. You can also find commercial games releasing in C# over the past year which is really great.. so far the game development community has actually started to adopt C# a lot faster than C++ was adopted back in the day.

I also work on another project (not at work) that is an engine built in unmanaged C++ but all of the tools are written in C# and it is quite possible that I will also use it to drive the game logic.

Moral of the story? Go learn either language.. C# or C++ and just start coding/learning and back out some demos and games... because it really doesn't matter which you choose and you will be able to apply the knowledge you gain to developing in any language in the future. The actual language means nothing, the algorithms, patterns, and logic do.

Maybe a little simple advice might help you decide. Try both a bit? Couldn't hurt. You get a feel for both and then you can decide which one you think will learn easyer from.

Let´s say he makes up his mind to develop games in C#.

What about OpenGL VS. DirectX?
Which is easier and offers faster development time?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!