• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fixxer

How much do you think I could make?

This topic is 4797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am just curious as to how much a smaller publishing company would pay for a freelance game? Provided that the media is good quality, the games has a strong player base and the game is smooth and efficient. Are we talking $1000, or $10,000? Or even more? This is just in general.

Advertisement
Hey,

It really really really depends on the scope, size and completedness of the game [if you've got player base then you'd probably be closer to completion and get more], what kind it is, the actual size of the player base, which publisher you go to, which season it is, what the technology is like, and so and so forth. There are so many variables to be any more specific. A freelance game the quality of a triple-A title would get (near) triple-A dollars [possibly more because of completion].

It all depends on what they could get out of it.

CJM

Adding to CJM's post, it's just a matter of shopping around and seeing what the best deal is you can settle for, bearing in mind that the publisher will generally look for titles that are easy to market and profitable for them.

Depending on publisher and type of game etc, the deal could comprise outright payment, revenue only or payment/revenue split - there is also the territories that they each have that you should consider and look out for 'exclusive' and 'non-exclusive' terms when looking at deals.

[Edited by - evelyn on June 20, 2005 5:34:52 AM]

is $10,000 an outrageuous amount of money for a company to buy a game? Im just wondering what I can expect IF any offers come through. I know it depends like you said, but im just speaking in general. Lets say the game as a "AA game."

Good quality graphics, the game ran, there was a playerbase of say 500 people who logged on every night, the software was stable, etc. Not the best graphics, but they are bad either. The game might not be as fast and efficient as say an EA Games game, but it works with an average frame rate of 40 fps. The software almost never crashes.

You haven't told us anything meaningful about the game so there isn't anyway to give a meaningful answer.

"500 people logging in" tells me it has some sort of online capability but beyond that I just know it isn't as good as an EA game. If it is of the same standard as most indie games out there then $10,000 is probably way to high - however it depends on what the game is. Give us some meaningful information if you want meaningful answers. What is the game out there now that most closely competes with your title.

Well im modeling the game after Infantry Online that SOE bought a few years back. The graphics are pictures of 3d models , but the game is 2D, and its in an isometric view. My game however is a 3D FPS that will be pure online play. At prime time, Infantry usually has anywhere from 450-650 (an estimation) players online, which is why I said having 500 people logging in every night.

There will be two game types. TDM and Capture The Flag. In TDM, there will be set players "IDT." Each "IDT" will have a different set of weapon and player attributes, but theynever change. This is for people who just want to go out and waste their friends, or enemies, who want constant action right away. They can play as long or as short as they want. Enter Mid game or leave mid game.

The Capture the flag games, (now known as CTF for the rest of the post) are a bit more complicated. Instead of just playing to get the most kills, the winner of the game is the one who captures all flags and holds them for x-amount of time. In CTF, you can also build your characters attributes, buy all your weapons, ammo armor and other gear. Its like an FPS/RPG hybrid. The amount of weapons and other gear will be huge. We will be constantly adding more weaponds to choose from.

The major addiction factor will be the addiction of the highscore. The stats system I have in mind is quite extensive. There are over 9 different statistics being tracked. That is 9 chances to get a player addicted to the high score factor.

With the CTF, another addiction factor will be the fact that you can build your character. Just look at ever-quest. Im sure my game wont be that big, but the concept of the addiction factor of character building should transfer over.

The offering of leagues and team competition is another addiction factor. Players can create their own squad or clan or what ever you want to call them, and enter into a league and compete.

The game will have a lobby chat room and each "Sector" or arena will have its own chat room. The interaction between players will also be an addiction factor.

Another good thing about online games is that no 2 games are ever the same. Because you are playing against humans, not some pre-programmed computer AI.

There will be anywhere from 4 to 12 different "Sectors" to choose from, so its kind of like 2 or 3 games in one, because not every "Sector" will have the same weapon sets, or settings. One might be all tank wars while the other might be on foot toops. Some might have super fast players and supers fast guns, while the other may be slowed down a bit. You get the idea.

So far i have been using test models and textures, the modeler I do have just got 3D Max, and ill start getting the actual game models in soon.

Screenies and other info at the website

I forgot to add that there will be updates on a regular basis that the users automatically download upon logging into the game. The AutoUpdater will down load the files to the correct location, so its quick and easy. Also, there will always be a new "Sector" being developed, new updates to the current sectors to improve them based on player feedback etc.

[Edited by - Fixxer on June 29, 2005 8:04:28 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Normaly publishers do not buy games. It is more of profit/risk shareing kind of buisness

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!