• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
g0nzo

Levels & models importing

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! This was probably asked many times before but i couldn't find any posts on gamedev ( btw how long is "temporarly"? :) ). I need to make (and somehow display it) visual content for my small app - i mean a level and some models. It will be all rather simple. Now the big question: how??? I don't want to create my own editor. What tools should i use to create models and which to create levels? How can i import them to my application? Are there any good tutorials about creating and importing models\levels?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by g0nzo
Hi!

This was probably asked many times before but i couldn't find any posts on gamedev ( btw how long is "temporarly"? :) ).

I need to make (and somehow display it) visual content for my small app - i mean a level and some models. It will be all rather simple. Now the big question: how??? I don't want to create my own editor. What tools should i use to create models and which to create levels? How can i import them to my application?

Are there any good tutorials about creating and importing models\levels?

Look into free editors like Blender (its still free??) but the usual problem is getting it to export into the format you need (like .X for DirectX etc...).

For a very simple level, you can use a heightmap methodology (regular XY grid with Z values taken from a texture file (like .TGA) which you can find alot of code samples online (or in the DirectX SDL).

There are losts of free models floating around too (but again, converting them to the format your program uses...). Since you are doing something 'simple' (basic meshes) it might be easier for you than many who have model features (skeleton bones, lighing stuff, animations) that many of the converters dont do a good job on.

Also look into Billboards/Billboarding (2D objects placed in 3D) to fill in alot of stuff on your level.

Thanks.

I was thinking about using level editor for unreal/quake/hl2. Is there a way to download only level editor without buying the game? Are there any tutorials about file formats which those editors use and how to convert them?

And regarding blender or gmax (is it free?) do you know any tutorials how to convert their file formats (preferably with some code examples)?

You can download the quake3 editor from www.qeradiant.com
I dont know if it would be such a good idea to use it if you're a beginner. The .map files arent stored as polys, they are stored as planes which intersect to define a convex volume. You need to work out where they intersect to get vertices/polys.

If you really want to do this I suggest you have a look at this:
http://www.draekko.org/documentation/MAPFiles.pdf

Its not for quake specifically, but its good enough.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!