• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
derek7

what is Direct3D?

This topic is 4804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think it is a render engine. so what does Direct3D do? or it provide some function for render engine? (no include D3DX lib)

Advertisement
This seems like an odd question for a gamedev forum but i'll bite anyway.

Direct3D is an API for interfacing with 3D graphics hardware. It is an abstraction layer between you and the physical hardware. Instead of manipulating registers and writing values to memory addresses Direct3D allows a common method for accessing 3D hardware that is a lot more user friendly, it also allows you the ability to write the application once in the Direct3D API and theoretically it should run on all 3D cards that have a Direct3D driver. Well thats the theory anyway.

odd indeed...or maybe he lent someone his username/password here so his friend could ask here instead of continuously bugging the original derek7...

:D

Hmmm, i doubt he has done that demo. I have seen it before, can't really remember where, but i think it was made by Microsoft to showcase simple AI or something.

There is a similar demo in MS DirectX Showcase called MultiAnimation.

// Allmight

I do made the demo ,but I know the D3D,but through the demo and other exercise I think D3D more indepth.

So I want to hear from other opinion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!