what is Direct3D?

Started by
17 comments, last by derek7 18 years, 10 months ago
I think it is a render engine. so what does Direct3D do? or it provide some function for render engine? (no include D3DX lib)
Advertisement
This seems like an odd question for a gamedev forum but i'll bite anyway.

Direct3D is an API for interfacing with 3D graphics hardware. It is an abstraction layer between you and the physical hardware. Instead of manipulating registers and writing values to memory addresses Direct3D allows a common method for accessing 3D hardware that is a lot more user friendly, it also allows you the ability to write the application once in the Direct3D API and theoretically it should run on all 3D cards that have a Direct3D driver. Well thats the theory anyway.
This seems like an odd question for someone who has made a demo using it!
odd indeed...or maybe he lent someone his username/password here so his friend could ask here instead of continuously bugging the original derek7...

:D
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
This seems like an odd question for someone who has made a demo using it!

LOL!
Hmmm, i doubt he has done that demo. I have seen it before, can't really remember where, but i think it was made by Microsoft to showcase simple AI or something.

There is a similar demo in MS DirectX Showcase called MultiAnimation.

// Allmight
-------------------------------------------------Founder and DirectorAllSoft Studios
I do made the demo ,but I know the D3D,but through the demo and other exercise I think D3D more indepth.

So I want to hear from other opinion.

My god.
See, now I'm just freaking confused as hell.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement