more dx8 surface stuff

Started by
0 comments, last by a38750 23 years, 4 months ago
I found the dx8 surface interface, and I''ve got some questions if anyone can help: 1) the D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFileInMemory function, does it load from a bmp in memory? The docs don''t say (also, the texture loading thing only loads from some raw format, which it doesn''t say anything about). 2) the same function takes a colorkey argument, which it converts to alpha transparent wherever it occurs. Does this then work in CopyRects? I know CopyRects doesn''t support colorkeys, but does it support alpha transparency? Or does it just copy the alpha colour as well to the destination. 3) is there any way to interact between surfaces and textures? I want to be able to copy data between the 2. It seems between them they offer everything I need, only I can''t copy between them. If not, what is the point of the colorkey thing in (2) if it''s not supported by any of the surface functions? Thanks, Frank
Advertisement
Some (partial?) answers:

1. The D3DX-texture-loading-thingy supports .BMP, .TGA and some other formats (it''s in the DX8 SDK, but I dunno where :o) )

2+3. CopyRects() supports no colorkey, AND no alpha blending. Also, on my system (Matrox Marvel G400), CopyRects() is very slow. It decreases performance below accaptable levels when blitting 1 640x480 bitmap in 16 bit color.

Hope this helps a little.

Greetings, CondorWitte.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement