.NET Portability

Started by
5 comments, last by SticksandStones 18 years, 10 months ago
Has Microsoft said anything about making .NET officially portable with other operating systems? I heard of Mono but I am curious if MS plans on integrating .NET with each OS more closely than Java ever has. Reason I believe they should is because Sun realized they were dealing with an internet age where several types of computers were connected. A small demostration is to go view a Java applet on any computer. Now go view a MS user control embedded in a browser. It only works for IE/Windows proving that you'll loose people/customers because of this. This is just one example out of many. Has MS made any comments on portability plans?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by phil05
I am curious if MS plans on integrating .NET with each OS more closely than Java ever has.

No.

It is a standard that anybody is free to implement, hence Mono and other .NET implementations.
It only works for IE/Windows proving that you'll loose people/customers because of this.

Not necessarily. It may instead convince people to use Windows so that they can use .NET programs. This is the philosophy behind Microsoft's general lack of cross-platform products; if their biggest product is Windows, why would they want to support anything else?

It might still be worth it to them to support other platforms (and they do in some cases, I believe), but my point is that it is not as simple as you make it sound. They are making trade-offs if they do support other platforms or if they don't.
That's true, but still if a customer was using Linux, shouldn't MS provide a way so he can get the same benefits as a Windows user?
That's true, but still if a customer was using Linux, shouldn't MS provide a way so he can get the same benefits as a Windows user?

ummm no. Why does Microsoft need to provide 'benefits' to someone who is not their customer? And they DID provide a way by standardizing the system and letting other vendors implement it.
Well, that's always good. I still think MS should "link" another OS user so they can lure them into the dark, dark dungeon.
Well, that's always good. I still think MS should "link" another OS user so they can lure them into the dark, dark dungeon.

Why? It doesn't make much sense of a company to support their competitors, now does it?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement