• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dalibaba

Partnering with a Marketing Agency

This topic is 4720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I represent a youth marketing specialty group called Uproar!. We have been the agency of record for Hasbro Toys for the past 5 years, among other reputable youth-oriented clients, and we are looking to enter into the unbelievably exciting world of electronic gaming entertainment. The recent consolidation and scooping up of development companies by major publishers has posed a considerable challenge for us in finding the perfect business partner. I bring this up because we would love any advice or open lines of communication with the game developers of the country to see how we may be of service to you. Your thoughts on the matters of game marketing in today's climate or how hardcore gamers on the developing and marketing side can come together on a project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and game on! Dale Alexander Uproar! Marketing

Advertisement
Dale,

We would love to chat.

Drop us a line: bizdev@injoygames.com

Alex
InjoyGames.com
'Injoy the Games you play!'

Quote:
Original post by dalibaba
Your thoughts on the matters of game marketing in today's climate or how hardcore gamers on the developing and marketing side can come together on a project would be greatly appreciated.

As you are the experts in the field I think it would be more helpful if you were to give us your thoughts on the matter in question. Otherwise this is little more than an advert and as such should be posted in the "Your Announcements" forum.

First, "expert" is a term truly afforded to few. I can, however, offer my personal thoughts on the matter. Being somewhat new to the churning engine that the gaming industry has become, I find it odd that developers don't have much say in how their game is represented in the marketplace.

Sure, they may weigh in from time to time with a junior marketing person working for the publisher, but hardly the amount of care you would think a +2 year project would garner.

That's where a specialty advertising/marketing agency with a creative staff made up of gamers, would seem to make more sense as far as crafting a message that speaks to your core demo. I think there are some good executions, but they are overshadowed by a tidal wave of mediocre.

My purpose for the posting was to gauge other points of view; if your team does in fact have a strong role in the marketing process or reasons why dev. teams don't ask for more control over their game's outward presentation.

Believe me, I know that money makes the world go around, but it would be great for an industry built by gamers to retain more control over every facet of the game itself.

Thank you for your time and bandwidth.

Quote:
Original post by dalibaba
I find it odd that developers don't have much say in how their game is represented in the marketplace.

Indie developers have little if any money to spend on marketing and out of those that do, fewer still can afford to hire a marketing company to help.

However I guess you are mainly refering to mainstream, commercial game developers. The reason is because 99% of game development project are paid for by the publisher. They fund the development and the marketing/sales and as such they feel that they should dictate how the game is marketed - the golden rule again. He who has the gold....

It is very hard for the developer to gain the power necessary to influence the marketing - it take many years and several succesful projects before a publisher will trust a developers judgement. What is more most developers have little or no understanding of marketing (or any other publisher related jobs) so it is doubly hard for them to take on this role.

I actually stress te importance of marketing to my clients but in many cases they don't have the power in their developer/publisher relationship or the money to do the job themselves.

We can talk more about it.
our website (www.mmshome.cn)

My email/MSN: sweitang@hotmail.com

Best regards,
Swei

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!