Need help with SuSE Linux 9.1

Started by
1 comment, last by nmi 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys! I have 2 questions: 1.) I have a hard drive with a 32bit FAT partition but how can I mount it to be able to read and write to it from Linux (As you say from the title I have SuSE 9.1 non-pro)? I only want the users "group" to use it. Right now, I've changed the one line in the fstab file (which is the mounted 32 FAT drive) a lot and now Linux just won't go into that drive anymore and previously it detected insufficient space when I wanted to install stuff with the package manager but Windows says that I still have 25Gig left on my 40Gig partition. I guess its the messing around with the mounting of that drive. I only changed the line below and nothing else. The 2nd last part of that line goes like this : "users,gid=root,umask=0002". 2.) How can I setup linux to browse the windows network with Samba? I mean, how do you setup samba to be able to look up other pcs? So far only the samba server works and people can connect with their windows to my machine in linux. Thanks
"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires" - Psalm 37:4My Blog
Advertisement
Well, I'm actually too tired too answer any questions right now, but I'll try anyway [smile]
I'm not an expert at fstabs options, but umask=0002 should be really wrong. If I now my umasks correctly (which I don't) 0002 = --------w-, ie. writepermission for everyone, but nothing else. It should rather be something like 660. No wait... you'll need 770, otherwise you won't be able to go into any directories I think. Anyway, as for samba, google is your friend. If you search, you shall find. If you happen to be using Gnome, you can use Nautilus with samba too, by going to smb:/// or network:/// or something, but don't count on it. You can also take a look at smbmount to mount a samba-share. Do a 'man smbmount' to get more info than you really want. If you got any other questions just ask. Good Night!
Example for fstab (from here):
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.## <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hdb3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1/dev/hdb4 none swap sw 0 0/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0/dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0/dev/hda1 /media/Betriebssystem ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0/dev/hda5 /media/Ulrich ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0 0 0/dev/hda6 /media/Videos ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0 0 0/dev/hda7 /media/Musik ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0 0 0/dev/hdb1 /media/Spiele ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0 0 0/dev/hdb5 /media/Linux vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

Read the man page:
man fstab

For the second question you may find information here.
Also make sure that you use the latest version of samba.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement