• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
idloco

RTS Terrain Textures

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im at the stage where i want to add some fun to my game.. and i want to be able to put several textures on my terrain.. like this... Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us This screenshot is from Ensembles Studios Age of Mythology.. How does this ppl do it?. or at least there is a way how to implement something similar?? i want to use at arround 16 textures min.. and using pixel shaders it cant be done ( or i don't know how..( 6 or 8 text max using ps 3.0 ) ) and using fixed pipeline only 8 textures.. SO my questions is... how can i implement something like the ES guys did?? Sorry for my english... it is not my first language. thx!

Advertisement
You're looking at multiple passes with alpha maps, using either the fixed-function pipeline or shaders. I found shaders the easiest method to work with. You could do more than one texture layer in a single pass (each layer taking 2 or 3 units, depending on how you do it), really being able to do a million texture layers.

There's a number of ways of doing it. Bloom's "Texture Splatting" articles are around the internet, albeit not for the complete D3D/OGL novice. It was simplified a bit in an article here.

Well, one simple way to do something similar to what you show in the image is using one larger texture, which holds say 2 x 2 actual textures. So, instead of 4 256x256 textures, you have one 512x512. Then, you use texture coords to select the correct texture of the 4. This would be more complicated than this, especially for transitioning, but this is a simple solution you can expand on.

Hope this helps.

I've quoted this thread before, so my apologies if you've already read through it - Suggestions on terrain is a thread where the terrain texture/blending techniques for AOE-3 was considered. You might find the ideas presented in that thread of interest to you.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!