• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
a2ps

store in class a pointer to ordinary function and call it

This topic is 4724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there, im trying to save in a private member of my class, a pointer to a ordinary or global function (not a member/method one), so i can call is when certain events happen. for example: class Test { private: int number; void * ptr_to_func; //can i use void? this is the pointer to a global function public: Test() { this->number = 0; this->ptr_to_func = 0; } void set_callback( void (*callback)() ) //this is where i set the global func { this->ptr_to_func = &callback; //store the adress } void add( int number ) //just a test method { this->number += number; if( this->number == 10 && this->ptr_to_func ) //is number == 10 and is the ptr_to_func valid? { this->callback(); //this should call the global function, instead it gives me a error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 0 arguments } } }; void print() //our global function { std::cout << "the number is now 10!" << std::endl; } int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) //main function and setup { Test t; t.set_callback( print); //sets print as a callback function for( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ ) t.add( 1 ); //yes 1, not i, so the t.number gets to 10 return 0; }

Advertisement
the function name is the address. So you just store

this->ptr_to_func = callback

The other way you had it was a void **

Here is a quick sample application on how to accomplish what you want..

#include <iostream>

// simple typedef for my function ptr
typedef void (*pfn)(void);

void blah()
{
std::cout << "I'm a useless function!" << std::endl;
}

struct foo
{
foo():pFunc(0){}
virtual ~foo(){}

pfn pFunc;

void Set( pfn func )
{
pFunc = func;
}

void Use(void)
{
if(pFunc)
(*pFunc)();
}
};

int main()
{
foo bar;

bar.Set(blah);
bar.Use();

return(0);

}

output:
I'm a useless function!

hth
moe.ron

it works now, guess i cant have a "void * func" as a pointer to a function but only a "void (*func)()"

thanks a lot :)

Quote:
Original post by a2ps

it works now, guess i cant have a "void * func" as a pointer to a function but only a "void (*func)()"

You guessed right. void * func is a pointer to a non-typed memory zone. It is not a pointer to a function at all.

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by a2ps

I would really suggest just using a typedef like I did. It makes it easier to read and its a lot less typing...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!