• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
datadawgx

dithering - an example?

This topic is 4721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys! can anyone point out a good visual example (ie, rendering?) of a primitive or scene with and without dithering? i'm trying to understand what visual affect disabling and enabling dithering on a 24bit RGB scene would be. thanks! -ddx p.s. this would be like, the difference in rendering a triangle with glDisable(GL_DITHER) as opposed to rendering it with glEnable(GL_DITHER).

Advertisement
Hi,
change your window's color buffer to 16 bit then enable GL_SHOOTH
glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);
then disable GL_DITHER
glDisable(GL_DITHER);
draw your triangle each vertex has his own color
you'll see color shading look bad.
that's all :)
bye

hmm is there a way to change the color depth of opengl without changing the settings in windows? basically, "changing my settings in windows" is not possible/valid. and it would be best if i could maintain 32bpp... i understand that at that color resolution it can be hard to notice whether dithering is used or not, but i need to try. any ideas?

youre not gonna notice so easily (if at all) in 32bit color
the easiest way is draw a fullscreen quad that goes from one side darkgreen->lightgreen
(green is the color the eyes can notice differences the best in)
set it so if the spacebar is pressed the current dithering state changes,
in 16bit u can easily see the difference

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!