opengl multiplayer tetris clone

Started by
9 comments, last by Fred304 18 years, 10 months ago
For some strange reason I cannot post a reply to my original post. I worked a lot on my tetris clone and finally got multiplayer to work. Download the binary from http://www.geocities.com/ackehurst/ and tell me what you think. player 1 keys: cursor keys player 2 keys: a d w s player 3 keys: j l i k player 4 keys: numpad keys To select the number of players simply press 1, 2, 3 or 4 during gameplay.
Advertisement
Nice!
I got no-one to play with, so I played 2-player at once, using both hands. And I lasted 10 minutes! If only I had third hand...

I really enjoyed seeing the smooth moving. How about smooth rotation? It would make the graphics look _complete_. Athough it's whole another difficulty level...

Starting speed is a must-have. Most people don't want to wait until the _real_clash_ begins.

Cheers.
/def
Too damn good looking man :D ! Great project !
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
Very impressive!

The only (purely aesthetic) improvement that came to mind was that it would be nice if the next piece shape moved into position rather than just appearing there (so when the current piece has landed, the next piece would move up and forwards to get into position at the top of the board, and then start moving downwards).

But regardless of that, it still plays well and looks very nice.
I have just finished adding a scorecounter and linecounter for each player.
Very nice looking clone! I really enjoy the real 3d look as well as the smooth dropping and the "realistic" effects of sliding and dropping (if blocks could "really" move by themselves)

The one thing I didn't like about it was the control; It's very smooth vertically, but the horizontal movement seems choppy because you have to press it again when you want to move. I'm not sure if that's how the original tetris worked, that was too long ago. I can see why you would do that though. I guess it would get pretty hard to control and guess where it's going to land.

Again, very nice.
Quote:Original post by simb
it would be nice if the next piece shape moved into position rather than just appearing there

Done!

Plus I fixed a bug in the collision detection that would sometimes allow the current piece to "climb" upon a neighbour piece when trying to move against it.
Quote:Original post by deffer
Starting speed is a must-have.

I have implemented a very basic menu where you can select the number of players and the starting speed.
Looking good! I liked the smooth play too.

Two points of critique spring to mind. One is already mentioned here: moving blocks horizontally requires you to press keys repeatedly, which makes play more difficult. Secondly, I was kinda baffled when starting it and only seeing a big set of numbers, but I'm sure that's just because this is a 'really basic menu' :-)

Keep up the good work!
Very nice lookin' demo. I like the blocks texture.

Having recently finished my own tetris clone, I can't help but wonder what compiler and kind of language did you use (C, C++ ?)? Only 44kb is really small, hehehe :)

Also, I'm not sure if some noticed this, but: when completing lines, parts of tetris pieces that find themselves above nothing falls down. It looks cool and makes the game actually a little easier, but it's not standard tetris behavior. Seeing as the rest of the game follows pretty correctly the standard, I was wondering if this was your intention :)

Apart from that, very nice. As some said, it'd be even better if blocks would rotate smoothly too :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement