Visual .NET Project setup question

Started by
8 comments, last by red-dragonX 18 years, 10 months ago
hey guys, i'm very new at this so any help will be appreciated. i'm starting on a tutorial which deals with Visual Studio 6.0 but i'm using Visual .NET. so the tutorial starts off with setting up the workspace, choosing a new project and selecting 'Win32 Application'. well, when i try to set it up in .NET, i see that Win32 is under Visual C++ Projects. then to the right, it has two options to choose from: Win32 Console Project, Win32 Project. 1) What's the diff. between the two? 2) Which one is equivalent to 6.0's 'Win32 Application' choice? thanks in advance. ps...the tutorial has to do with tic-tac-toe and ClanLib.
Advertisement
You had it right: it's Win32 Project. :)
A Win32 Console Project will give you a dos styled console box. The main reason to use that would be for the ease in debugging, you can simply 'cout' or 'printf' to the console and see it. The Win32 Project will not.
while you folks are being helpful, i may as well ask a few more ?s. thanks in advance. so if i do just the Win32 Project, it seems to have a lotta stuff in the .cpp file... i.e. :

// Global Variables:
HINSTANCE hInst;
TCHAR szTitle[MAX_LOADSTRING];
TCHAR szWindowClass[MAX_LOADSTRING];

the tutorial i'm trying to follow is this one, in case anyone wants to look at it for reference: http://www.clanlib.org/docs/Tutorial/TicTacToe/part-1.html

when i download the author's workspace, i don't see any of the extra stuff that's in my .cpp file (i.e. the global variables etc). for the sake of simplicity and keeping in mind this tutorial as well as my total inexperience with .NET, should i go with the Win32 Console Project optoin or just the Win32 Project option?

Secondly, the tutorial says: "Next, go into Project > Settings > Link and add the CL libraries you'll be using to the Object/library modules field."

When I go under Project in .NET, i do NOT see Settings > Links. How do I do this in .NET?

I understand these are basic ?s but i have to learn this stuff at some point, and i'm tired of waiting. I'm just starting out with game programming and getting stuck in the beginning is highly frustrating as it is. I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out and may um good karma be with you ;)
i know these ?s are probably a pain in the...butt, but please someone help or i'll never get started with this. i appologize if i'm being impatient, but c'mon, you all must remember trying to learn things and getting stuck, so someone take a look n reply!

thanks in advance of course!

edit: i appologize for being impatient. i think it's being at the university thing where you ask for help and they don't give much. nevertheless, point taken. and thanks for the help :)

[Edited by - red-dragonX on June 22, 2005 4:31:22 PM]
What you want todo is to select Win32 Projectand the under Project options or what the dialog is called (the one after you select Win32 Project) you just select "empty project" and you won't end up with some whimsical wizard code that just serves to confuse.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
just a small reminder: people on this site come from various time zones and walks of life. Please do not reush ur request for answers. Based on the timing, it is barely 12 between ur last two posts. Give it a day if u must, but dont sound too eager. It's not polite :)

back to ur question, those extra codes are Wizard generated. You can opt let the Wizard to not generate these codes, but that depends on what you want to do witht he project.

About linker settings, in .NET (i use .NET 2003, so hope it is similar) it is located under:
Project| Properties...

Expand Linker on the left side, and choose Input. You'll need to add the additional .lib dependencies under the Additional Dependencies edit box on the right.

Edit: btw, you might wanna exploe MSDN a bit on the basics of the IDE. Or at least toy around. Settings in Visual Studio are well organized, and it wont be long before you find what you want if you just experiment a little.
- To learn, we share... Give some to take some -
CraZeE & DigitalDelusion--thanks for telling me how to link, i've yet to do that though.

CraZeE--i'm following your advice by familiarizing myself with the IDE in general, though it's a bit difficult (i guess time and familiarizing are the key). i even found a tutorial that explains how to make a Hello World programing in Visual .NET. (I guess it's suppose to be included with .NET).

i just came to the realization of something (more like MORE ?s actually): with .NET, i'm assuming you can't write the simple C++ programs such as:

<code>

#include<iostream.h>
int main()
{
cout << "Hello World!\n";
}
</code>

or am I wrong? can I use .NET and compile the above code? if not, does this mean that i have to relearn everything for it to be used/compiled in .NET?

The tutorial game this code which is why i came to the assumptions:

<code>
#include "stdafx.h"

#using <mscorlib.dll>
using namespace System;

int _tmain()

{
Console::WriteLine(S"Hello World");
return 0;
}
</code>

after some answers, i can post my rants.

Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
A Win32 Console Project will give you a dos styled console box. The main reason to use that would be for the ease in debugging, you can simply 'cout' or 'printf' to the console and see it. The Win32 Project will not.

I've been using Visual Studio for years, and I've only just recently figured out that if you debug a non-console app, then the output from stdout appears in the "Output" window.

Handy tip, for those of you that aren't aware. Saves you going to all the bother of creating console builds of your app for debugging.
alright, following tutorial and another problem has come up!

i did a Clanlib tutorial where they help you set it all up, and it compiles just fine. so i did ok with that.

this tutorial (http://www.gla55pak.com/lameduckie/02june/tictactutorial/part-1.html)...i'm on the part where he wants you to compile minimum.cpp. ok, fine. when i compile it, i get this error:
c:\Development\ClanLib\ClanLib-0.7\Examples\Minimum\minimum.cpp(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ClanLib/core.h': No such file or directory

minimum.cpp does include that library in the beginning:
<code>
#include <ClanLib/core.h>
#include <ClanLib/application.h>
</code>

ok, and after doing a search on core.h on my pc, here are the results:
core.h C:\Development\CL_Include\ClanLib
core.h C:\Development\CL_Include\ClanLib\Core\System
(Of course it picked up other .h files such as setupcore.h...)

When I did the first setup tutorial (http://www.clanlib.org/docs/Tutorial/Kavanek/01-Installing.html#windows),
I did exactly what the guy did.... even installed the Output Library directory as C:\Development\CL_Lib (for Library Directory) & C:\Development\CL_Include (for Include Directory).

I've done all the steps in this setup tutorial and it compiled fine. so now why am i having trouble compiling minimum.cpp?

as you can see, 'm really horrible with this stuff. your help will be REALLY appreciated and ask if i left something out. tried to make it neat, but meh, long post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement