Meteorites - "Blasting your way towards a better tomorrow!"

Started by
12 comments, last by HopeDagger 18 years, 9 months ago
Although I did write this game quite some time ago (circa Christmas 2003), I'm still proud of this earlier work of mine, and the enjoyment I had writing it. Not to mention the enjoyment of the few friends I had test it in the process! Now, Meteorites may at a first glance look like your average Asteroids clone. The name suggests it too, I won't lie. At first it virtually was one, but it's grown quite a bit since then. Meteorites now features seven powerups that you can acquire by destroying meteorites on the playing field, as well as cute flying saucers that sputter around the screen whilst firing generic red shots at you. It's enticing! So all I'm asking of you, humble reader, is to take a go at this work of mine and supply me with the most valuable commodity of all: feedback! Good or bad, I'd love to hear what you think of my little project, and what I can do to make it an overall greater gaming experience! Thanks! Meteorites Showcase Entry Meteorites Download [Edited by - HopeDagger on June 20, 2005 9:58:31 PM]
Advertisement
I'd be very gracious for feedback (or downloads in general ;P) on Meteorites. You certainly can't hurt yourself by taking a looksee! :)
Ok, this is now the third time I have written this. The first two times, literally whilst I was finishing the last sentence there has been a power failure, so third time lucky hopefully (and you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little brief in parts).

Firstly, while the graphics are adequate, there is still a bit of room for improvement [smile].

Now, the main annoyance I had with it is the speed (or lack thereof) at which the ship turns/accelerates. That meant that often by the time I realised an asteroid was on a collision path with me, it was too late to adjust my course and get out of the way.

Overall though, I actually really enjoyed it. The standard asteroids gameplay is always good fun and this was no exception. Your additions though were also good. I liked all the powerups and they were helpful without making things too easy. Also the UFOs helped make things hectic (which is a good thing) right from the start of the level, rather than having to wait til a few asteroids have been smashed as is normally the case.

So all in all, good work, and I would be proud of it too if I had written it [wink]
you game is ok. played it for around 20 min. perhaps there is something wrong with my pc but it was very slow. it appeared like playing football under water. sure graphics could do some additional touches but apart from that the game appears to be solid and polished. no bugs spotted! it looks like zou had to put quite some work into it.

i liked the ship slowing down after thrusting. what annoys me a lot when playing asteroids clones is that you cannot actually regain the full stop once you moved your ship.

nice smoke when speeding too! pulsing misilles and variety of weapons it a great idea too.

thubs up for being patient enough to write complete game

peter

Well done!
I actually quite like the graphics, nice and minimalistic. But I would agree that the game is far too slow, and the star field in the background makes me feel a bit queasy after a while!
I only recently added the starfield (before I uploaded it actually, so it didn't look so plain ;D), and it seems to slow down the game a lot. I'll add in an option to disable it so those of you with speed issues can run it better.

Thanks hugely for the feedback, it's been motivating! :)
Update:

Your ship now responds faster, more specifically in terms in speed and turning. This means more meteorite-dodging action and evasion of the pesky flying saucers! :) Also added is the 's' key which toggles the somewhat GPU-intensive starfield on and off.

Meteorites Showcase Entry
Meteorites Download
It seems to be the same version! Still feels slow, and the s key has no effect.

Have you considered implementing mouse control? I used this in my asteroids clone and it works so well that I'm surprised no-one thought of it (well, none I've played have it!).

Mine is on my website, it doesn't have as many features as yours (just shoot the rocks), but it'll give the idea of what I mean by mouse control.
You're getting the same version? That's very weird. Does the text, "Press 's' to toggle starfield' appear anywhere on the intro screen? If not, then I'm baffled. When I click the link and download it, I'm getting the most recent version. Does anybody else experience this?

I'm siting on the fence as far as mouse control goes. It certainly makes aiming way easier, but that might be a bad thing. ;)

John: Your website -- well, in particular, Nastyroids -- is great! Did you draw those graphics? If not, send your artist in my direction! :D
I'm getting the most recent version fine here. The more responsive ship is much better now - agile enough to dodge stuff without being uncontrollably fast.

Again, good work [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement