• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Codemonger

console problems

This topic is 4870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, maybe someone can help me with a problem I'm having with visual c++ express 2005 Beta 2. Everything was working just peachy for a while but now whenever I execute or debug a console app through the IDE the console is no where to be seen. Even if I pause the console or debug it (adding break points).. its just invisible.. This is driving me nuts .. If I manually execute the .exe through windows -> run etc.. the program runs fine (I see the console). I have re-installed visual studio express many times.. even uninstalled .. created new user .. reinstalled .. with still complete failure of seeing the console app execute from the IDE. Even if I use the standard win32 console project , i get same problem. If anyone has ever had this problem or a solution, I would appreciate some help. Thanks

Advertisement
Hey guys, thanks for the responses -

@pragma Fury

Ok I just tried alt-tabbing and no luck .. its not showing up as an application. But I checked task manager and the process shows up just fine, but no application. If I run the program from command line or explorer then it shows up in task manager and can be alt-tabbed.

@paulecoyote

Yeah I tried making simple app (default console app), and that doesn't even work.

---------------------

This is very frustrating .. I'm not sure what changed. Like I said I've done clean installs, even ran couple diff. registry cleaners after uninstalls, created new user, and reinstalled.. Just seem like I'm having no luck.

If the process is there when I run the app from IDE is there some code to throw in to make the console app visible @ the begining of my code (for the time being)?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I find that it does that sometimes. Mainly it will work properly, but when it doesn't, I use:

std::cout in_avail() + 1);

before the return statement.

Since I can sometimes see the console momentarily, I believe that it's executing all the way through without asking for the user to press anything to end it. The above code should stop it doing that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AP but unfortunately this is not a case of the console appearing and disappearing because the code executes quicker than the eye :) I wish it was ... It does though seem like any console app I create is acting like a win32 app.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!