• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
seepauliedie

Unity dreamcast development, help!!!

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've been using these forums for about 2 years and was always able to get help just by looking at other peoples questions but after looking for days I think it's time for me to ask for help. I am a programmer using MSVCplusplus.NET after taking 3 semesters of Cplusplus at my community college I decided I wanted to work on something a little more challenging so I looked into game design(the reason I started programming). I came across a library called SDL(Simple Directmedia Layer) and was hooked since the day I found it. On the SDL website it says: "Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support for, Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS." I learned how to load BMPs to the screen, play audio, and get keyboard input on windows XP, now that I have a simple game running I would like to port it to the dreamcast. Please help.

Advertisement
I have been doing the dreamcast coding thing for a while now. Let me warn you, it is very infuriating. The SDL port is broken, and you have to hack away at the source code to get it to work properly.

Nobody as of yet, has made the GCC binaries to work with visual studio yet, so you are stuck with Dev-C++ or cygwin.

The native API, KOS, has rather poor documentation, so be prepared to spend hours looking through headerfiles. It is a great library, but it needs to be documented.

But, if you can do it, it is worth it.
pong.avi

You should look into maybe using the Dreamcast's real power as well... The PowerVR. Forget SDL, when you get hooked on the PVR you don't turn back.

Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
I have been doing the dreamcast coding thing for a while now. Let me warn you, it is very infuriating. The SDL port is broken, and you have to hack away at the source code to get it to work properly.

Nobody as of yet, has made the GCC binaries to work with visual studio yet, so you are stuck with Dev-C++ or cygwin.

The native API, KOS, has rather poor documentation, so be prepared to spend hours looking through headerfiles. It is a great library, but it needs to be documented.

But, if you can do it, it is worth it.
pong.avi

Unfortunately, PnP is right. The setup is somewhat frustrating. Unfortunately also all the documentation is in the header and .c files. I'll admit though they are very well commented/documented. Next winter going into spring, i'll be documenting and hopefully be making a NeHe type of tutorials for the PVR and TA APIs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!