• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

En3my

Loading bitmap to DX surface from VC resource?

This topic is 6415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am now using the MS DDutil files for loading bitmaps into DX surfaces, and I noticed while checking the source that it can load the bitmap as a resource too... Now I am asking if anyone could show me the way to make a bitmap resource and then use DDutil to load it? Also, is there a way to do the same with the corresponding MS util file for DirectSound (loading wav''s and midi''s as resources)? I''d like to have one big EXE file only holding all the stuff... Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by En3my

I am now using the MS DDutil files for loading bitmaps into DX surfaces, and I noticed while checking the source that it can load the bitmap as a resource too... Now I am asking if anyone could show me the way to make a bitmap resource and then use DDutil to load it?

Also, is there a way to do the same with the corresponding MS util file for DirectSound (loading wav''s and midi''s as resources)?

I''d like to have one big EXE file only holding all the stuff...
Thanks in advance!

Which DDutil files are you using to load bitmaps onto DX surfaces? Is this part of directX 8.0?

En3my probably means the ddutil.cpp and ddutil.h files which is distributed with DX7 SDK

I also use them for loading bitmaps into Surfaces

Oopss!
I forgot to mention that there is a corresponding Utility for for loading Sound files into DirectSound buffers.

I think the file names are: dsutil.cpp and dsutil.h
Also distributed with DX7 SDK

I think (it''s a while since I have done it) you need to write the resource file (.rc) - it''s just a simple text file where you give your resources names and types. Next, you need to use a resource compiler to compile it.
Since I use the borland IDE, I would create a resource file in the project and use the menus to add bitmaps, etc...

AFAIK, ddutil just takes a name and tries to resolve it as a resource first, then a file so you shouldn''t need to do anything different.

-DeVore

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!