how to directly access to show a int variable as char * or string?

Started by
25 comments, last by Sandman 18 years, 10 months ago
I do this ; but no work. int i=9; char *c; c = (char*)&i c = c+1; *c = 0; c = c-1; MessageBox(0,c,0,0);
Advertisement
An int is not a string so simply casting will not work. You can use the search function and find out about itoa() and sprintf(). If you look those up you will find out how they work.
int  nNumber = 9;char cMsg[64];sprintf(cMsg,"%d\0",nNumber); // <--- include string.h, or cstringMessageBox(NULL,cMsg,"Message Box Title",MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION);
You could also look into using <sstream> if memory serves me right... std::ostringstream and std::istringstream are the ones you want to look at. You can use these to create a templated function that will, for most cases, work like a "toString" or "fromString" - very useful for debug output [smile]

I'm hoping I haven't completely cocked this next bit up as it's straight off the top of my head. I'm at work right now so don't have access to my utility files that I have these in!
template< class T >std::string toString( const T& value )    {        std::ostringstream oss;        oss << value;        return oss.str();    }template< class T >T fromString( const std::string& text )    {        std::istringstream iss( text );        T ret;        iss >> ret;        return ret;    }std::string IntAsText = toString< int >( 1234 );int TextAsInt = fromString< int >( IntAsText );

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I just want to directly access memory through a pointer.

maybe I first convert the number to char number? I mean convert 40 to "40"?

Quote:Original post by derek7

so do this way not possible?

Since the datatypes are conceptually diffrent it just won't work you'll have to convert it somehow.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

It might well help if you give people a bit more explanation as to what you're trying to achieve - there might well be a better/easier way. Your original example is a little unclear [smile]

int i=9;
char *c;
c = (char*)&i //So you want C="9" ??
c = c+1; //do you want C="10" now?
*c = 0; //C="0"?
c = c-1; //C="-1" now?

Are my comments showing what you're trying to do?

Bare in mind that your "char number" is just a human readable representation, but the most part your CPU will not operate on "40" as a number - rather two characters - '4' and '0'.

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion

so do this way not possible?

Since the datatypes are conceptually diffrent it just won't work you'll have to convert it somehow.

so how to do?

I think I need convert character to ascii code.

like: if ( int i = 97) then return 'a'?

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers

It might well help if you give people a bit more explanation as to what you're trying to achieve - there might well be a better/easier way. Your original example is a little unclear [smile]

int i=9;
char *c;
c = (char*)&i //So you want C="9" ??
c = c+1; //do you want C="10" now?
*c = 0; //C="0"?
c = c-1; //C="-1" now?

Are my comments showing what you're trying to do?

Bare in mind that your "char number" is just a human readable representation, but the most part your CPU will not operate on "40" as a number - rather two characters - '4' and '0'.

I mean first in memory have a int i = 97;
so I just show the 97 (maybe now is character) on screen.
that is it.

look up atoi and itoa functions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement