• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wizumwalt

modeler and opengl scenes

This topic is 4806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just trying to figure out how some of these games are made so I can start thinking of making one of my own. I use OpenGL and I see how using all these shapes makes the scenery and *thought* the characters too. Then I started looking and Blender3D (which I understand as a modeler) and have been playing around with it. Are you supposed to put the characters you create from the modeler within the scene created w/ OpenGL? I previously thought it was all done programming in OpenGL but mixing the modeler w/ the scene has now got me confused as to how to make them move and I'm just trying to figure out when to use what or how they work together, etc... Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement
I think http://nehe.gamedev.net/lesson.asp?index=01 are OpenGL lessons that build open each other as they go on. Eventually they cover what you are talking about, so by then you should not only understand it, but be able to do it.

For now here is my lame explination. You make the model in a 3D modelling program which created a bunch of vertices in a file. You convert the file to OpenGL's native 3D filetype and then using OpenGL functions the vertices and ...Um...Line things (I can't believe I can't remember) are drawn to the screen. I hope that makes sense. :P

Just to clarify things a little I'd like to add that there is no OpenGL native filetype. Instead you have to export your model to some fileformat, and then load it somehow, either through some library or your own function. What you basically load is a list of vertices that you can then draw with OpenGL, but that is to simplify it a bit. I don't mean to be rude, by from you post I get the feeling that you're not very familiar with or OpenGL or 3D-programming in general, so reading some tutorial by NeHe as MikeWulf suggested is probably a very good idea.

It may be worth looking into Cal3D. This is a library which has its own native file type, and works nicely with OpenGL for rendering. It also handles animations and bones and all the rest, and is well enough documented to be added to a program by a newbie. You would convert your model into the Cal3D filetype using one of the converters.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!