• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chaosknight109

OpenGL Spaceball in OpenGL

This topic is 4869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a stereo project in OpenGL. I want to take an already drawn object and use a 3dConnexion Spaceball (6 axis controller in case that is new to you) to control it. I am relatively new to OpenGL (Going to be a Sophomore in College) so I am fumbling through it the best I can. If someone could give me a heads up on some code for a spaceball I would greatly appreciate it; supposedly their site has some... but I couldn't find anything of use to me. Thanks

Advertisement
Wow, someone actually uses that? huh!

Anyways, GLUT has built-in support for spaceballs. Download it, and check out the glutSpaceballMotionFunc, glutSpaceballRotateFunc, and glutSpaceballButtonFunc functions.

Also, if you are on windows, either the DX input API probably has good support, or the WINAPI itself may work well. If using the WINAPI functions, use the EX versions to support more buttons/axis. I'm not sure though how good each works though for that Spaceball thing, just some ideas.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ludicrous speed.....GO!

Whoops. Wrong reference

Anyways, as you know, OGL doesn't have any support for input or anything like that. So, you need to use other means to handle input.

In the past, I've used DirectInput (from the DirectX SDK) to handle all of my input. It limits you to Windows, but it certainly gets the job done, and the SDK isn't obscure either.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!