DirectX Consultant Sought (by phone)?

Started by
18 comments, last by calidev234 18 years, 9 months ago
I have been playing around with the DirectX samples that are included with the 9.0 SDK. Specifically the samples/C++/Direct3D/: • EffectParam • SkinnedMesh • Emptyproject Can anybody help me understand these samples by phone? We will pay. Anybody? If so please contact me at jtfaulk at eudoramail.com Thank you very much
Advertisement
Ok. So if that's not an option for a person. Then how about this:

We will pay for someone to provide me with a working VC++ 2003 .Net DirectX project that has the various features I need (the various features are all included in the samples already provided in the DirectX SDK 9.0b or higher).

If anybody is interested please email at jtfaulk at eudoramail.com

Thank you..
Ok, hell does anybody just have an idea as to how I can figure this shit out. I've tried looking for directx consultants and that doesn't seem to be working - is there really no one out there that can help. As you can seem I'm going a bit crazy and I need some help. At least a point in the right direction.

Please help,

J
I don't personally offer phone-consultation... but you might well find that there are people willing to take up your project over at Rent A Coder.

This forum, for the most part, is question->answer rather than a complete walk through.

If you can rephrase your thread (create new ones if you want) asking specific questions you'll probably get some good answers from the people here:

What have you read? what line(s) don't you understand? what part of the general structure don't you get? where are you wanting to go with this?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Exactly - if you narrow down your post and form it into some specific questions, we would be more than happy to help. I guess there is really no need to hire an expensive consultant.

The EmptyProject sample is as simple as you can get. It's just the barebones D3D framework, with no added features or anything.

However, you may have a problem with the SkinnedMesh sample. I don't think anybody truly understands that thing [lol]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
First of all, you posted 3 times in one hour. Give people time to answer your questions, people have lives; schools, jobs, trips to the beach (I'm looking at you, Dustin!)...etc

Second, this is not the forum for job-type posts. You can either try the "Help Wanted" forum, or post to jobs@gamedev.net. This thread is more suited to the "Help Wanted" forum.

Quote:Original post by Coder
Give people time to answer your questions, people have lives; schools, jobs, trips to the beach (I'm looking at you, Dustin!).

Ahhhhh, and some of us have exams and great newspaper projects, too muahahaha [lol]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Well, I can tell you now, 'EmptyProject' is just that: it's an empty project. There's really nothing in it except the framework, which you build on to make your application.

You could start with a completely empty workspace, and build it all yourself, but starting with an 'EmptyProject' saves a lot of hassle dealing with all the normal stuff that gets written every single time--after you write the code to create a D3D device a couple dozen times, it gets old writing it again.

A lot of people will say that using this as a framework, and building on it to make your app, isn't the best way of doing things--you might get more performance, or less memory footprint, by not using all the stuff that's included in the DXUT classes. However, for anyone who's not trying to wrangle every last instruction out of the code, it's a great place to start. Almost all of the DX9 samples use this framework as a starting base, for example, while Doom3 doesn't.

If you start with the 'emptyproject' workspace and gradually add your own code, you can learn a lot about whatever aspect of DX9 you're working on without having to do the basic startup each time. Of course, you may not learn everything about the fundamentals of application startup and DX initialization if you don't study that as well.

That said, I'm using 'EmptyProject' as a base for my project. I've done the bare bones startup thing before and have no burning desire to do it again unless I'm at that 'every byte counts' point. Since I'm doing an freeware indie game, I'm personally not all that worried.

You're free to pay me for that if you want, by the way.
Ok, so let's say I start out with the EmptyProject - and I simply want to load a mesh file.

I assume the main places to be modified are:

OnCreateDevice - where you would initially load the mesh file (using LoadMesh)
OnFrameRender

Is that correct so far?

I'm trying (in OnCreateDevice right before // Setup the camera's view parameters):
LoadMesh(pd3dDevice, L"test.x", NULL);

???

I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out simply how to load a simple mesh. What is the third parameter on the LoadMesh file. Is this the mesh parameter that should be global inorder to 'refresh' it when the OnFrameRender is triggered?

Am I even heading in the right direction or am I lost.

So so to explain a bit better than above:

in OnCreateDevice (of the EmptyProject) I've added:

WCHAR jstr[MAX_PATH] = L"test.x";
V_RETURN( D3DXLoadMeshFromX(jstr, D3DXMESH_MANAGED, pd3dDevice, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, &g_pMesh) );

where the g_pMesh is a global variable. So it looks like this actually loads it initially; but I don't see anything; I assume this is because I haven't added anything to the ONFRAMERENDER?

Is that correct?

So OnFrameRender do I have to re-render the g_pMesh?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement