Getting Started

Started by
21 comments, last by demonkoryu 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys im new at this forum.. My big question is... What is better to start OpenGL or DirectX... What language is better to game programming??? ------------------------------------------------------ Yeah that is... Cya....... ------------------------------------------------------- And sorry for my poor english... Im brasilian...
Advertisement
All personal preferrence. The things you need to know are...
-DirectX is windows only.
-OpenGL doesnt do input sound networking and a few other things that DirectX does.
-C++, though industry standard, is generally not an easy langauge to start with.
-People will give you a thousand different opinions. Ignore them and choise the one you are comfortable with.
Plus, there are many different API's you can use besides DirectX and OpenGL. SDL seems the most recommended. If you need any more info, just ask.
Hi... again...

Im not new on C++ programming...

Im new just on Graphics programming.. and

i want to know whati is better DirectX or OpenGL..

But u told me that DirectX is better than OpenGL..

But SDL where come to this history... SDL is better than both??

Or just better to start??

Tnx for help me and

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry for my poer english

Im brasilian

----------------------------------------------------
SDL is a 2D Graphics library which is implemented with OpenGL, so you can use both together.

You can't say DirectX is better only because it can do other stuff than graphics.
There is no better between those two it just depends on your requirements, OpenGL is platform independent, but DirectX gives you input,sound,networking,... besides graphics.

Choose the one you like, means go and search for some DirectX and OpenGL tutorials and work with both and than decide which one you want
I have learned that in the world of programming, nothing is "better" than something else. What will work always depends on your situation. There is never a difinitive answer. The best thing to do is try everything: look into both OpenGL and DirectX to see what would work for you.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Maybe you can read through this article to get a better impression of DX and OGL

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp

I think the best way to choose your API is to create a simple programm which draws a triangle on screen with both of them and then to pick your api of choice by deciding which code you like more. If you wan't to develop a platform independetn game OGL will be your API of choice because your bound to Windows with DX.

But as the previous posters said already it's not a question anyone can answer you ... it's just your personal choice.

cheers,
Marcel
So tnx for help guys..

I will read about both API's and i will choose...

Tnx... so i will start studing OpenGL.. and after i will go to DirectX...

Anoter question...

OpenGL is a 2d and 3d API???

directX too??

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry for my porr english...

---------------------------------------------
Direct X and OpenGL are both 3D API's but there are several methods to use them for 2D Games, Direct X has an own Sprite Interface for instance and you can also use so called Texture Quads with both API's, but this shouldn't bother you for now.

If you're fine with C++ and as soon as you get the basics you'll come over these topics.

Just check out some beginner tutorials on both API's you'll find all the information you need there. Best point to start is the Articles Center on gamedev and for openGL you should check NeHe. --> http://nehe.gamedev.net/

cheers,
Marcel
Quote:Original post by ext
SDL is a 2D Graphics library which is implemented with OpenGL

Wrong, my friend. SDL can be use to SET UP rendering for OpenGL. If you don't specify that you want to use OpenGL when you create the window, then it uses DirectX (if it's in Windows) or X11 (in Linux).
I don't have any links, but I have seen posts and articles that compare the features of both OpenGL and DX3D. I prefer OpenGL, many users prefer DX3D. It is a matter of opinion. In general, most of the features tend to be the same, so mostly what OpenGL can do, DX can do, and vice versa. Each has there own processes and storylines that got them where they are today, which do reflect in how the API is used and updated, but that info is also in the same articles and posts. Anyone have the links?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement