• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RDragon1

Size of the mac market?

This topic is 4704 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested to know of any research conducted that compares the number of Mac users to PC users, and then specifically Mac gamers vs PC gamers (whether this compares # of units sold for one game on the mac & pc side, or what)... Not looking for exceptionally accurate information, I am more interested in a general sense; how big is the Mac market?

Advertisement
In general, Mac users are professionals/students that don't play games, that or they have an additional PC that they play games on, on that note, casual games for Macs do alot better then not. and high profile games only really do decentally because then those that have a PC also have a Mac to play on. we also have the children that want to play games on their parent's macs of course. If it isn't any work to add Mac compatability, then do it, but don't waste too much time on a mac port.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I read somwhere that for indie games alot sales are made on Macs and often can outnumber the PC sales. If you look at Garagegames Mac sales are large enough that your game has to be cross platform or they won't except it.

Also Mac is going to use Intel processors. I don;t think it would be that hard to make Win game run on Mac.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Apple may be moving to intel, but all of the API's for input, sound, etc... will all still be different the windows will. If your game is done nicely(ie. All system specific calls encapsulated in functions) then it shouldn't be to hard to port... but you will have to pick up a number of new APIs.

Im not a programmer :) But what I read was Apple run Mac OS on P4 with regular hardware. Basically it was PC with Mac OS. As far as I remember it was on E3.

It's actually closer to a linux-box than a PC. Tiger's running over a Linux kernel, not anything by MS.

If you use something like SDL you should be able to shift around without too much problems, if you're using DX you'll have a fun time.

Allan

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1
I am interested to know of any research conducted that compares the number of Mac users to PC users, and then specifically Mac gamers vs PC gamers (whether this compares # of units sold for one game on the mac & pc side, or what)...

Not looking for exceptionally accurate information, I am more interested in a general sense; how big is the Mac market?

I sell two Mac games for every windows one.

Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
Tiger's running over a Linux kernel, not anything by MS.

No....it's running on Darwin, which is some kind of strange hybridization of Mach and BSD.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!