Sign in to follow this  

Trying to get an HL2 mod to compile..

This topic is 4549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks in advance for reading. I'm new here so I hope you guys don't mind my first post being a question. All of the following was done according to valve's guide. I placed a link to that guide at the bottom of this post. Today I downloaded Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta (not wanting to pay for Visual Studio .NET 2003 if possible) and loaded up game_sdk.sln Then (though I thought this odd) I opened a separate file called weapon_rpg.cpp from another location, and changed RPG_SPEED from 1500 to 400 like valve's guide said to do. Then I changed the Active Solution Configuration to "HL2 Release" like the guide said to do (despite the fact that I had to type that in, it wasn't a selectable option, which I found odd) I thought that these steps were going to work since I followed them and valve should know what they're talking about, but after compiling, 0 of 2 projects built successfully. The compile log is extremely long so I won't post it (I'm sorry if that's a mistake, just smack me, I'll fix it) If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd really appreciate help, since I'm completely lost and have never compiled a mod before due to errors like this one. PS: This mod was created using the "Build a Mod From Scratch" option, and I created the mod in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Programs\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\ModA Valve's Guide: http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/MyFirstMod.htm

From the Source SDK FAQ:

Quote:

What compiler do I need to build the SDK code?
The SDK is set up to be compiled with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 v7.1.

They even put the emphasis. Plus, I recall you that VC++2005 is a beta software.

Another FAQ entry:
Quote:

Where can I go for more help?
Read the SDK Release Notes for the information about the current Source SDK release.
The VERC Collective Forums are a great way to help get answers to problems you encounter.

I think you'll find help more easily on this forum than here when it comes to SDK related questions. Now, we are ready to answer any other question - see the game mod forum:)

Regards,

Thanks Emmanuel. You're right about VERC.

code_master, here are the errors (besides the one I (think) I already fixed)

<code block A>

c:\documents and settings\raccoonking\my programs\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\moda\src\cl_dll\hud_bitmapnumericdisplay.cpp(159) : error C2668: 'pow' : ambiguous call to overloaded function

c:\documents and settings\raccoonking\my programs\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\moda\src\game_shared\baseentity_shared.cpp(251) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
Conversion loses qualifiers
basecombatweapon_shared.cpp
basecombatcharacter_shared.cpp
baseanimatedtextureproxy.cpp
base_playeranimstate.cpp

BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\debug_sdk\bitbuf.sbr': No such file or directory

</code block A>

It looks as though your errors are just general c++ errors.

The first error to do with overloading the pow function can be solved by specifying the type that you are passing it. ie:-

pow( (long)2,2 );

The next set of errors can be resolved by typecasting the const chars to chars. ie:-

(char*)strString;

I came across an article on Wavelength some time ago about compiling source sdk in vc++ 2005. Here's the link: http://articles.thewavelength.net/678/
I don't have 2005, so I can't promise that it will work.

Both solutions are correct.

Quote:
Original post by rpg_code_master
It looks as though your errors are just general c++ errors.

The first error to do with overloading the pow function can be solved by specifying the type that you are passing it. ie:-

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

It seems the error comes from the definition of pow<T>(). Most of the time, it comes from a missing #include <math.h> (or #include <cmath>) - at least, this was true with VC6. Anyway, rpg_code_master's solution should work.

Quote:
Original post by rpg_code_master
The next set of errors can be resolved by typecasting the const chars to chars. ie:-

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

The correct C++ way to do it is to use const_cast<>:

char *str = const_cast<char*>(my_const_string);

Regards,

This topic is 4549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.