Sign in to follow this  
Replicon

Specifying behaviour of std::set::find()

Suppose I have something like this:
set<CWidget *> widgets;

// ... code to pupulate this thing....

CWidget *widget = new CWidget([...something]);

set<CWidget *>::iterator result = widgets.find(widget);

if(result != widgets.end()) {
    // rejoice, etc.
}

Ah, but since it's a set of POINTERS, it'll just compare the addresses to determine whether it's in the set... But what if in THIS case, I want the find() to operate on the dereferenced widgets to determine whether it exists. Is such a thing doable? I assume it is, and I probably need to 1. Define some standard operators to make CWidget compatible with all this, and 2. Define some comparator class (in the same way you use priority_queue). Since I'm out of town at the moment and don't have my trusty STL reference on me, I was wondering if you fine people could clue me in on it. (I could always force some kind of "CWidget::toUniqueInt()" and have a map<int, CWidget*>, but that == UGH!) thanks!

Set has an optional second template parameter that is a compare functor that takes two parameters and returns true if the first is less than the second, and false otherwise. Just make one that operates on two Widget* objects, and you're gravy.

*edit: see here for an example involving c strings

CM

You could also use std::find_if and supply a predicate, but I believe you'll go back to linear search time, which would be slower than std::set's find function.

I think you need to weigh the costs vs. your design goals/needs. If you supply set's compare object, the set will remain sorted based on that comparison. If this is desirable to you, by all means, take that approach. You can still always use std::find_if for custom searches.

Quote:
Original post by Replicon
Sweet, it's just like priority_queue... I shoulda just tried it LOL. Thanks for the help.

Not quite, std::set must only contain unique items. A multiset would allow for multiple occurrences.