• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
QuadMV

Converting RGB to a single numeric value

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know what the formula would be to convert the three color channels (RGB) of an image to a single color value? I want to use this as a heightmap, but I don't want to be limitted to 256 values of a grayscale image. Since an RGB image can many thousands of colors, I thought this would make for a more detailed heightmap, but I'm not sure of the formula to convert it? Thanks, QUAD

Advertisement
FYI there's a happy prebuilt function to do just this:

//Read r, g, and b from your heightmap
unsigned long Color = D3DCOLOR_XRGB(r, g, b);

If you wanted even more precision you could use an alpha channel and do this:

//Read a, r, g, and b from your heightmap
unsigned long Color = D3DXCOLOR_ARGB(a, r, g, b);

The first example will produce numbers from 0 to 16,777,215 and the second will range from 0 to 4,294,967,295. Hope a little over four billion possible values is satisfactory ;-).

I knew of those functions but didn’t put two and two together when I was thinking of what I wanted, argh. Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!